Gaspesie, I love you... Ice climbing

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Gaspesie, I love you... Ice climbing

Postby gaspesie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:05 am

A sea if mountains and ice awaits you! Just a few steps from your vehicule, on a technique route by the sea or as your climb in the heart of the Chic-Chocs, the breathtaking panoramas will have you saying, “Gaspésie, I love you!”
This winter, treat yourself to the Gaspésie!

Ice climbing and other mountain activities are currently under development in Gaspésie. We develop sites, services for climbers, special packages, and special events.

Don't miss our mountain and ice climbing fest: Rendez-vous de la montagne, on March 23-25.

For more information about ice climbing in Gaspesie, visit http://www.tourisme-gaspesie.com/escalade (in French only, but English version will be post in few days), or contact us at escalade.gaspesie@globetrotter.net or 418 763-5152.

See you!

Julie Ruest
CIDTG
gaspesie

Postby Stef » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi Julie, nice website but if you want to attract ice climbers from the Maritimes you should consider posting up-to-date ice conditions, especially in early and late season or linking to the websites that do. We all know about the great climbing in the Gaspe but it is long way to drive on the chance the the ice climbs are in good shape. Many people will chose New Hampshire rather than Gaspe as an early-season destination, just because there are many websites that post current conditions. Just a suggestion.

Cheers,

Stef
Stef

Postby Matt Peck » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:59 pm

I second that motion. the Gaspe is a fantastic spot, but an aweful long way to go if you don't know the conditions. Not the kind of thing that's fun to gamble on.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby mathieu » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:11 pm

Just for those who can't read french, here is a bastardized translation "a lot of the stuff along the highway 132 is on land that is insured by the FQME (which is the same organization that insures the Kamouraska sport climbing area) all ice climbers wishing to climb on
Les Barrières, Rivière-à-Claude
La Gueule de requin, Mont-Saint-Pierre*
Les Cavaliers du vent, L'Anse-Pleureuse
Bébé surgelé, Gros-Morne

Must possess a FQME membership card (at a cost of 8$ a day)".

Now I just looked at the FQME site, and here is an interesting bit

Les grimpeurs québécois doivent défrayer des coûts à plusieurs endroits lorsqu'ils vont à l'extérieur du Québec.Donc, dans un souci d'équité entre les grimpeurs d'ici et d'ailleurs ainsi que pour simplifier ses opérations, la FQME à abolie la catégorie membre hors-Québec.

Now to translate that word for word:
"Quebec Climbers must pay the cost when climbing on climbing sites outside quebec. Therefore in a spirit of equity between climbers of QUebec and from outside of quebec and to simplify our (FQME) operations, the FQME has abolished the category of Out of Province Climbers."

Last time I checked the only place I had to pay to climb was in the Gunks, and the climbing gym. I pay a fee when using the Canada parks system if I go to Banff but that pays for other things than insurance premiums (like SAR, trail maintenance and so on).
mathieu

Postby martha » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:15 pm

You have to pay to climb at kamouraska and at Chutes Momo both of which are run by the FQME. They used to not Charge out of province climbers.... but those days are gone.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Return to General