Last Call!!!

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Last Call!!!

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:40 am

Its getting to be that time of year again. The sun is getting strong and the temps are rapidly rising. Have you hung up your ice tools for the season yet?

I'd like to think I haven't had my last trip out for the season but future plans are looking grim. :(
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Re: Last Call!!!

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:44 am

chossmonkey wrote:Its getting to be that time of year again. The sun is getting strong and the temps are rapidly rising. Have you hung up your ice tools for the season yet?

I'd like to think I haven't had my last trip out for the season but future plans are looking grim. :(

I've given up. I would have gone away this weekend, but couldn't find anyone who wanted to.
granite_grrl

Postby Mountain_Marc » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:04 pm

I just got back from a week of ice and mixed climbing in the Rockies but i'm hoping to get out at least once or twice before hanging them up for the season.
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby mathieu » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:59 pm

Marc, where were you climbing? Have you been up the Parkway?
mathieu

Postby Mountain_Marc » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:34 pm

mathieu wrote:Marc, where were you climbing? Have you been up the Parkway?

Due to the flowery weather and dangerous avy conditions we didn't as much as we wanted. We climbed in the Ghost for a few days, went to Mt. Kidd, Haffner, Bearspirit, Johnston, etc. I was basically based out of Canmore as I have friends that live there

We weren't able to get to the Parkway as the road was closed due to avalanches and a mudslide.

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby Matt Peck » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:09 pm

super bummed the season is ending. Had a great sesh so far, feels like Im just hitting my stride. Oh well, rock soon!
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby dcentral » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:19 pm

I am going ice climbing tomorrow for the first time on the fijord in Sagunay. I can't wait. I just hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.
dcentral

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:30 am

Matt Peck wrote: feels like Im just hitting my stride.
That's what it feels like to me too. It was a short but good season here, to bad it had to end just as I was starting to wind it up. :? We actually had a few extra weeks here at the end. 15 degrees yesterday likely brought an end to any ice within 3 hours of here.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Mountain_Marc » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:02 am

chossmonkey wrote: That's what it feels like to me too. It was a short but good season here, to bad it had to end just as I was starting to wind it up. :? We actually had a few extra weeks here at the end. 15 degrees yesterday likely brought an end to any ice within 3 hours of here.

There is still some ice in the Dacks!

Mountain_Marc

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:18 am

Mountain_Marc wrote:There is still some ice in the Dacks!

I'd go in a heart beat if I could be the thrid in a groupand just pretty much top rope. Nathan says he thinks he can rig up an anchoring system with my harness so there'd be a minimal load if I was belaying a leader.....but if it didn't work perfectly and it hurts my leg, well I just don't think that's a safe distraction if you need to catch a fall.

I'm having a really hard time finding partners. :(
granite_grrl

Postby Mountain_Marc » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:03 am

granite_grrl wrote:I'd go in a heart beat if I could be the thrid in a groupand just pretty much top rope. Nathan says he thinks he can rig up an anchoring system with my harness so there'd be a minimal load if I was belaying a leader.....but if it didn't work perfectly and it hurts my leg, well I just don't think that's a safe distraction if you need to catch a fall.

I'm having a really hard time finding partners. :(

If you'd live closer I'd drag you out for a climb. Originally I wouldn't as I was more interested in climbing with stronger or equal strength as I wanted to get stronger. Several newer people to ice had asked me to go climbing this past winter but I always refused as I just thought about getting stronger and not wanting to be held back. Stupid? Yes, I know.

Now something happened this past weekend in Canmore that would make me drag you out for a climb. I was at a climbers party (even Fred Beckey was there, lol) and saw this guy and my buddy explained his story to me. He was a guide with Yamnuska, young, healthy and strong climber, then one day this fall, totally out of the blue while at home, he suffers something similar to a brain aneurysm. They didn't know if he was going to survive, etc. He survived but he's now confined to a wheelchair, doesn't have real control of his arms and hands, speech impaired, list goes on... At the party, I heard that earlier in the day his girlfriend brought him to a climbing gym and he was crying at the sight of seeing people climbing and him not able to do so. When I saw him at the party as he was leaving, he was talking to his climbing friends and I saw the tears in his eyes. You could see that he was totally in love with the sport and now he'll never be able to do it again.

Just thinking about it gives me lumps in my throat. Because of that eye opener I believe that injured climbers that want to go out and climb again need to be dragged out to climb and accommodated to their comfort level.

Just the fact that they want to return after a serious climbing injury, proves that they love the sport as most would probably just hang up their gear and call it quits!

Rock on, Granite_grrl!

Mountain_Marc

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:55 am

Marc, your story is almost making me cry here at work. I can only imagine the frustration and disapointment I have with climbing now and multiplying that to if I simply would not be able to climb again.

Heart wrenching.

Thank you for your words of support, I need them sometimes so I don't get too discouraged.
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:28 pm

Hey Rebecca,

team up with parents who climb too as often when Fred and I bring the baby to the crags with us we are limited to TR'ing as it is so much safer to let him or me 'hang out' if we have to tend to the little one. :)

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby dcentral » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:39 pm

We went today. It was so great. We did a couple of 30 m lines. THey were great. The ice was so nice and the temps were awesome.

I'll post pics when we get home on Saturday. The card reader isn't picking up on this laptop.
dcentral

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:45 am

dcentral wrote:We went today. It was so great. We did a couple of 30 m lines. THey were great. The ice was so nice and the temps were awesome.

I'll post pics when we get home on Saturday. The card reader isn't picking up on this laptop.

I'm still trying to decide if driving 4 hours without being able to split the cost of gas in my truck will be worth another two days of climbing ice. We had an great time out on Sunday. Brent is still working on a trip report, but I might post a link when he gets it done.
chossmonkey

Postby Mountain_Marc » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:46 am

chossmonkey wrote:
dcentral wrote:We went today. It was so great. We did a couple of 30 m lines. THey were great. The ice was so nice and the temps were awesome.

I'm still trying to decide if driving 4 hours without being able to split the cost of gas in my truck will be worth another two days of climbing ice. We had an great time out on Sunday. Brent is still working on a trip report, but I might post a link when he gets it done.

Where are you guys going?

Mountain_Marc

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:29 pm

Mountain_Marc wrote:Where are you guys going?
I was planning on going to Bancroft, or up around there. I don't think there would be two days worth of stuff to do just in Bancroft, but there are a lot of other places close by. There are actually only a few routes left that I really want to do that will possibly be climbable. I'm planning on anything that gets sun to be cooked. If its not it would be a bonus.
chossmonkey

Postby brent_e » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:48 pm

chossmonkey wrote:
Mountain_Marc wrote:Where are you guys going?
I was planning on going to Bancroft, or up around there. I don't think there would be two days worth of stuff to do just in Bancroft, but there are a lot of other places close by. There are actually only a few routes left that I really want to do that will possibly be climbable. I'm planning on anything that gets sun to be cooked. If its not it would be a bonus.

we did a lot of the stuff in 1 day - a lot of the steeper stuff, anyway. I think there might be a couple other lines around the corner up the road a little bit that we didn't bother with, though.

if they are still in. I wish you could get to the dacks, Nate, or Rebecca. Hell, i wish i could get to the dacks.

I don't think it can happen this year, sadly.
brent_e

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:20 pm

brent_e wrote:if they are still in. I wish you could get to the dacks, Nate, or Rebecca. Hell, i wish i could get to the dacks.

I already said that I could get to the Daks, just need people willing to climb with me....hard to find.
granite_grrl

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:24 pm

chossmonkey wrote:

You have the 4 hours up to the Bruce to pay for by yourself, and still another 4 hours or more to Bancroft with your friend.
granite_grrl

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:32 pm

The ice close to home is done. The most of the really big stuff is still there, but it has lost a lot of weight. Pretty much everything has fallen down otherwise. :(

Hopefully the ice will be good this weekend up north. Then it looks like I'll have to dust off the bridge picks to get my fix!
chossmonkey

Postby Mountain_Marc » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:43 am

Anyone get out this weekend? I went Saturday and Monday locally in Ottawa, the ice is still pretty fat in one area.

Should still be there next weekend!

Mountain_Marc

Postby dcentral » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:00 pm

Finally here are some pics from my trip to Quebec last week.

Image[/img]
dcentral

Postby dcentral » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:02 pm

Not being able to edit posts == teh lame
dcentral

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:11 pm

Mountain_Marc wrote:Anyone get out this weekend? I went Saturday and Monday locally in Ottawa, the ice is still pretty fat in one area.

Should still be there next weekend!

I got out up in Bancroft for the weekend. The ice wasn't great, but it was still fun.

Here is a link to a Trip Report form the Sunday before. http://www.pbase.com/noquarter/bancroft_in_march
chossmonkey

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:12 pm

dcentral wrote:Image

Not being able to edit posts == teh lame

Yeah, but the preview feature is kinda nice. :wink:
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:18 am

I've been invited up to Bancroft this weekend if the weather hold up. Not sure if I'm going to go. On one hand I would just like the season to be done and to really concentrate on getting ready for rock (which means lottsa time in the gym adapting how I need to climb right now), but I hit up this thread and I see so many people still trying to head out....its terribly tempting to try to sqeze in another weekend. Especially because I still haven't had a chance to climb up at Bancrft and Nathan keeps referring to it!
granite_grrl

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:28 am

I think it is probably about time for me to take apart my ice draws and put together the rock draws. :(

It was a short but sweet ice season for me. Rain and way above average temps this week look like it will deliver the death blow to the season. There might be some ice left for a while up north, but it will likely be hit or miss.

Time to start getting in shape for next year!!! :D
chossmonkey

Postby Mountain_Marc » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:29 am

granite_grrl wrote:On one hand I would just like the season to be done

Never, ever say that! Grrr. :lol: I wish the season would alot longer than the rock season. I'm one of the crazy few that likes ice climbing more than rock climbing.

granite_grrl wrote:Especially because I still haven't had a chance to climb up at Bancrft and Nathan keeps referring to it!

I've been there, you're not missing much. Dacks are so much nicer and Vermont is da bomb!

Mountain_Marc

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:17 am

Mountain_Marc wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:On one hand I would just like the season to be done

Never, ever say that! Grrr. :lol: I wish the season would alot longer than the rock season. I'm one of the crazy few that likes ice climbing more than rock climbing.

Its been a very hard season for me. I would have given so much to have gone away, but I couldn't even leagally drive untill a few weeks ago, and partners were impossible to find it seemed (both befoer and after I could drive). So I was stuck at home, and the fear of walking outside on slippery side walks left me house bound.

Mountain_Marc wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:Especially because I still haven't had a chance to climb up at Bancrft and Nathan keeps referring to it!

I've been there, you're not missing much. Dacks are so much nicer and Vermont is da bomb!

Gah, just the chance to get away anywhere.....especially some places a little different and more challenging than the local stuff I was stuck on.
granite_grrl

Next

Return to General