Question for Rendog and pass/present westerners (Ghost road)

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Question for Rendog and pass/present westerners (Ghost road)

Postby mathieu » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:45 am

I am banking that by the time I wake up you folks on the east coast can answer my question.

I don't have chains and am heading to the ghost tomorrow. From what I gather from latest conditions, the roads are "not that bad". This may sound stupid but am I gonna be turned around or worst, get stuck if I venture in there without chains.

Wish me luck,

Mathieu
mathieu

Postby Ulysse » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:09 am

Brad was just up there and he did not have any chains. guess he got in quite far. send him an email bwinter@hotmail.com im sure he can fill you in
Ulysse

Postby mathieu » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:21 am

I already sent him an email asking him if he did use chains in his little outing. We are planning on going to the same area so Thanks you answered my question.

Cheers for the speedy reply

Mathieu
mathieu

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:33 am

Why not just go buy some chains man?? An ounce of prevention...
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Re: Question for Rendog and pass/present westerners (Ghost r

Postby rendog » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:13 pm

mathieu wrote:I am banking that by the time I wake up you folks on the east coast can answer my question.

I don't have chains and am heading to the ghost tomorrow. From what I gather from latest conditions, the roads are "not that bad". This may sound stupid but am I gonna be turned around or worst, get stuck if I venture in there without chains.

Wish me luck,

Mathieu

well I've been into the ghost 3 times...I've been stuck twice...it's all part of the "adventure" man. Basically if you don't have chains, don't go anywhere that you don't need chains to get through
if you look like your passport photo, then you probably need the vacation
rendog

Postby mathieu » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:59 am

mitchleblanc wrote:Why not just go buy some chains man?? An ounce of prevention...

Reason being which rhymes with prevention...procrastination.

Well we made it in and made it out without chains and got all the way in to the crag. May have frigged my front differential by hitting the edge of the frozen river a tad too hard, oh well it was worth it. We were grinning ear to ear all day.

To put this place in perspective for you folks back east, its sorta like the equivalent of Parlee Brook or Litlle Salmon to NB. Just multiply it a thousand time. The amount of climbs in there is just crazy and some real long ones too. Imagine 500 m of Grade 3-3+. Granted its not continuous but hey its vertical mileage none the less.
mathieu

Postby rendog » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:52 am

mathieu wrote: The amount of climbs in there is just crazy and some real long ones too. Imagine 500 m of Grade 3-3+. Granted its not continuous but hey its vertical mileage none the less.

so tell me what kind of shape is This House of Sky in anyway...and more importantly did you go to the top of the ridge to have a look at Devil's Thumb? that's the best part of that climb
if you look like your passport photo, then you probably need the vacation
rendog

Postby mathieu » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:45 pm

We actually didn't do This House of Sky. We wandered in the Valley of the Birds and had the intention of coming back to the truck at the end of the day and play on GBU. We may be heading back on SUnday and that's what we were thinking of doing (THOS). That was exactly what my partner wanted to do climb a long route and get to a ridge/summit of sorts.
mathieu

Return to General