Pilates Classes

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Pilates Classes

Postby martha » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:02 pm

Hi all,

..not entirely climbing related, but I know a ton of climbers who have taken pilates... I'd like to have full classes as it will only help me be a better instructor.

An update on my pilates situation. I will be completeing my apprenticeship at Aligning Arts Pilates in New Maryland. The owner and instructor Lindsey Laidlaw-Sweeney has been kind enough to allow me the use of her beautiful studio on Tuesday evenings.

There will be a small fee to be paid to Lindseys Studio, but it is a much reduced rate as I am not yet certified. This is to cover the use of the space, equipment and insurance.

The schedule will be

5pm - Private or Semi Private (reformer)
6pm - Introductory Mat and small equipment (ball, power circle, bands)
7pm - Intermediate Mat and small equipment (ball, power circle, bands)
8pm - Private or Semi Private (reformer)

I will have room for 8 - 10 in the Mat classes and 1 or 2 in the reformer.

Mat class fee for 1 hour class: $7.00 per student
Private session: $28.00 per hour,
Same price for semi-privates, $14.00 per person

The classes will start next Tuesday May 1 and run until June 19th. A waiver will have to be signed during your first visit to the studio. You can find us at 572 New Maryland Highway. Please check out the rest of the studio information at http://www.aligningartspilates.com

Once certified (June 24th) I will be offering a regular schedule of classes and private sessions. Information to follow.

Thank you so much and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions at all.

Cheers.

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:24 pm

Those are excellent prices!!!

I have been doing Yoga for a while now and would really like to try pilates, but I have problems being commited to come to the same class, the same time every week. Guess that's the advantage of going to a yoga studio, there's a vinyassa (power yoga) class on every night Mon - Thurs. Its $110 for an 8 week session at the yoga studio, and I know that I'd end up missing at least one (probobly more) of those classes if I did it right now.

Maybe I'll get to try it next fall/winter when there isn't enough light in the evenings to get out climbing and biking after work anymore.
granite_grrl

Postby *Chris* » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:37 pm

Hmmm... something seems to have gotten through the spam filter. Fred, would you mind taking care of this? Thanks buddy! :lol:
*Chris*

Postby martha » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:03 pm

granite_grrl wrote:Those are excellent prices!!!

The prices are reflective of me needing to finish my apprenticing and practice teaching hours. Regular prices are posted on the studio's website.

Pilates is an excellent post rehab activity and I think it would benefit you greatly. Stabilzing, stretching and stregnthening the deep core (transverse abdominals, pelvic floor and internal obliques) would be very beneficial to your recovery. Pilates is covered by some health plans in some provinces if you get a doctors or PT referral. I would check into it for sure and make sure you seek out a qualified instructor as there are many out there with cracker jack box certifications and also many who aren't qualified to do post re-hab.

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:43 pm

martha wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:Those are excellent prices!!!

The prices are reflective of me needing to finish my apprenticing and practice teaching hours. Regular prices are posted on the studio's website.

Pilates is an excellent post rehab activity and I think it would benefit you greatly. Stabilzing, stretching and stregnthening the deep core (transverse abdominals, pelvic floor and internal obliques) would be very beneficial to your recovery. Pilates is covered by some health plans in some provinces if you get a doctors or PT referral. I would check into it for sure and make sure you seek out a qualified instructor as there are many out there with cracker jack box certifications and also many who aren't qualified to do post re-hab.

I guess I do the yoga for the stabalising, stretching and strengthening, but I know that pilates would work you different ways, more core stuff. The yoga I've been doing is good 'cause of all the leg stuff involved, which I really need.

I've already called my health care provider, they said classes like that aren't covered, even if you have a referal....but I have been give wrong information in their call center before, maybe I should ask again.
granite_grrl

Postby *Chris* » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:55 am

Martha I thought for sure you'd have a witty come-back for me this morning. Little Marie-France has turned you into a softie! :lol:
*Chris*

Postby martha » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:47 am

*Chris* wrote:Martha I thought for sure you'd have a witty come-back for me this morning. Little Marie-France has turned you into a softie! :lol:

haha..no no.. I'm just trying (very hard) not to be a complete B!tch all the time! haha...

okay okay..

here we go...*clears throat*

"go to hell chris"

okay..so not very witty... hehe.... 8)

martha

Postby Scooter » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:59 am

hmm so if im looking to strengthen up my core I should look more into pilates than yoga?
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby martha » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:45 pm

I would definately say so. With Pilates you'll feel a noticable difference in about 10 classes. maybe earlier. I have a whole new body because of if.

Take a few classes to get the hang of it, and start with an introductory class even though you are likely fairly strong already. The instructors will take you through some basic positions etc to get you going. Once you get the hang of it, working out at home to a dvd is easy.

A lot of climbers here do it. John Bowles swears by it now. i can tell you for sure, especially having a baby, that it has made a huge difference. I am in better shape than I have ever been before and I account it to the pilates.

martha

Return to General