driving west

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

driving west

Postby granitoid » Thu May 17, 2007 8:23 pm

Anyone have suggestions for the best (fastest) road-route from Halifax to Calgary via the states?

Specifically looking at the Fredericton to Syracuse leg. Mapquest suggests a dip down almost to Boston but that seems inefficient.

Any ideas appreciated!
granitoid

Postby Fred » Thu May 17, 2007 10:56 pm

down to Boston and accross is probably the fastests. The East to West highway systems are terrible through New Hampshire and Maine. Must go down the 95 to the 495 around boston. Then head West.

The highway through NB is pretty good now with most of it being 4 lanes. Might be quicker to go the Quebec way.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby granitoid » Fri May 18, 2007 12:00 pm

Thanks, that confirms my misgivings about cutting through New Hampshire. It looks like Freddy to Syracuse via Boston or Montreal are both about 13 hour trips.
granitoid

Postby Fred » Fri May 18, 2007 9:03 pm

Is Syracuse, NY your end destination? If so I would go to Boston then cut over on the interstates. Take the 495 around Boston. I thought you were looking for a way through the states to get to Calgary crossing back over somewhere near Toronto. If that was the case then going the Montreal way through NB would be easier I think especially where you might need passport to go accross now (duno if this is in effect yet). But if you are going to Syracuse then definitely cross in Houlton Maine take the 95 south to Boston then 495 around Boston. Duno what the numbers are after that but I think it's 91 or something like that. Hope this helps.

For cross Canada travel I think the easiest way is through Quebec.

p.s. Cutting East to West through New Hampshire is like taking the back road to Peggy's Cove.

cheers
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Fri May 18, 2007 10:58 pm

Like Fred said, driving through Quebec is easier now. We always used to drive to my grandparents a long the route you are talking about but since the highway improvements my parents don't go that way anymore.

You don't need a passport yet for ground travel. But I'd still recommend getting one just becuase it's oneless thing they can hassle you about.
dcentral

Postby granitoid » Sat May 19, 2007 3:13 pm

I am driving from Halifax to Calgary, and was looking to avoid Ontario, as it was painful when we did the reverse trip. It looks like you pretty much have to go through Syracuse if you want to skirt south of the great lakes, so I'm looking for the quickest way from Halifax to Syracuse.

I got a new passport, and a letter from my vet saying my dog doesn't have any contagious diseases.
granitoid

Postby martha » Sun May 20, 2007 12:18 pm

You want to drive to the Woodstock/Houlton Me border crossing.

drive south on the I95 until just into Mass where you will get on the 495 to avoid Boston traffic (somewhat) Then get on the 90.

From there stay on the 90 until Cleveland where you'll go around the city on the 271 to get to the 80. Stay on the 80 (also tagged 90) until you Enter Illinois. You'll go onto the 94 for a bit then onto the 294 AROUND the city then back onto the 94. I would then stay on the 94 West through Wisconsin and Minnesota and then at Fargo go North on the 29 into Canada near Winnipeg. From then it is Trans Canada all the way.

Even though going around the cities looks farther..it will take you WAY less time and headache. Especially if you aren't used to that kind of traffic. Minniapolis is easy to Navigate through though so don't worry about that one.

Hope this helps.

Also, Truck stops will be your friend... There are some great ones (Flyin' J and Luvs for example) They have showers, restaurants, huge convinience stores and their parking lots are safe to catch a snooze in. You won't get many until you are near Syracuse.

cheers.

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby mathieu » Sun May 20, 2007 7:59 pm

ANother option is to cross at Sault St Marie, which means you have to drive to MOntreal> Ottawa> NOrth Bay> Sudbury> Sault-St-Marie and cross there. I've never done it but it avoids that big detour around Lake Michigan and you duck out just before you hit Northern Ontariable (ie: Wawa to Winnipeg).

Driving East-West in the eastern states is a major pain. You won't save anytime.
mathieu

Postby mathieu » Sun May 20, 2007 8:02 pm

Ask Zig, I know him and his cousin did the Washington state to NB drive in less than 50 hours (or something ridicolous like that). If there is a quick and cheap way to go cross country that guy surely found it ;)
mathieu

Postby martha » Mon May 21, 2007 8:05 am

Man, Fred and I did the drive from Sudbury - Sault Ste Marie- ThunderBay...

it is really beautiful... but SOOOOOOOOOOOO LOOONNNNNGGGGGGG.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Zamboni » Mon May 21, 2007 8:01 pm

Chris,

When are you heading out?

CB.
Zamboni

Postby granite_grrl » Tue May 22, 2007 8:05 am

Note: the I90 through NY state is a toll highway, but its pretty easy to blast up from Boston to Buffalo along it (I have family in Boston who use that as their regular route up to the Niagara Area).

I have done the drive from St. Catharines to Wisconsic a few times, the worst part is going through Chicago. Lots more tolls from Chicago to the Wisconsin border. Chicago is also about the worst city I have had to drive through in the interstates. I'm always scared I've gone the wrong way (and I have driven through, or taken the bypass interstate sectons through, a number of major american cities).

Most interstates are freakn' fast, so if you can't get a really good route out of anyone here you should be able to figure out one yourself.

Also, any climbing on your way? Gunks and the Daks are just East of Boston. And if you just take the I90 through South Dakota then you hit the Black Hill (amazing spires) and Devils Tower is just beyond that (before the I90 goes up to Montana). Very highly recomended.

Final thing. If you're going by Syracuse, NY and plan to come anywhere close to Buffalo/Niagara Falls (the I90 goes right by Buffalo) then you're welcome to stay at my place in St. Catharines (only 1/2 hour from where the I90 hits Buffalo).

Cheers! Have a good trip!
granite_grrl

Postby granitoid » Tue May 22, 2007 10:32 am

Hey Conan, the actual move starts June 30. Kim and I will be taking the scenic route and winding up in Jackson for five days of climbing (!). I was looking for the fastest route to drive our old Volvo out before then.

I'm back in C-town now but will be in Halifax from June 2-9 and would be into getting a last weekend of climbing in, if you're around...
granitoid

Postby granitoid » Wed May 23, 2007 11:37 am

BTW granite_grrl, thanks for the kind invite. Depending on how the days stack up that might be a well-placed and much-appreciated rest stop.
granitoid

Postby granite_grrl » Wed May 23, 2007 12:38 pm

granitoid wrote:BTW granite_grrl, thanks for the kind invite. Depending on how the days stack up that might be a well-placed and much-appreciated rest stop.

No problem, it would just be the return of a favour given to me by other climbers. You're welcome to stop in if you want to sleep in a real bed and/or want a chance to shower and stuff.
granite_grrl

Postby Zamboni » Tue May 29, 2007 7:47 am

Ya man I'm up for a weekend of climbing. That time of year is too buggy to climb inland, how about an overnighter on dover? I bet you have some bidness out there still?

Cb.
Zamboni

Return to General