The White Caves in Hillsborough

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

The White Caves in Hillsborough

Postby Andrew » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:20 am

I am hoping to find someone that knows the location of this cave and how to get to it. Also, if it is permissible to enter the land which you must walk on to get to it.

Information should not be posted here,
but you can PM me or email me F2E8 at hotmail dot com with information. My climbing partner (Stephen) and I are hoping to explore this cave.

We've already been to Berryton Cave, but it is now off limits as per the and owners request due to fires and trash found too often near the cave. We've also been to the Harbells Cave in Rockwood Park and Howe's Cave near Peacocks flowershop.

Excerpt from CanCaver re: White Caves:

In Albert County west of the village of Hillsborough you will find the White Caves. These two caves are part of one system, which contain a number of other sinks and collapsed sections of an underground stream. These are gypsum caves located just south of a large exposure white gypsum from an old mining operation giving them their name. The first of the two major sections of the cave is an entrance in the side of a large sink going through a small passage into a very large room. The 105 meter passage ending in a breakdown room with a limestone floor on the far side that is doted with black Alberite and has been called Bat Cave (7) in the past. The other section of the cave was finally push to within a few meter of the first cave in 1995 by Mark Daoust and Sylvain Dansereau (1). The first 120 meters of the cave is easily explored while the rest is currently plugged with mud and sand. The entrance is found in the side of a sink and has a stream running down the center into a crack in the far wall. This section has been reported as Gypsum Cave (7) in the past. The White Caves are a system and the name is well know in the area and the name White Caves are even used by the NB Department of Tourism as an adventure vacation destination. The cave show some wear from the tour visits, mostly candles but are fairly clean. The Caledocadie Caving Club has produced an excellent maps including surface feature (1) of the area.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:25 am

Because I can't edit my message I have to make another post to fix a typo:

The Berryton Caves statement should read 'is NOW offlimits'.
Andrew

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:34 am

Gotcha covered. :wink:
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Andrew » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:02 pm

I found someone to take me to the White Caves. They are amazing, though very cold in wet with one part of them.

Thanks Mike, Kevin, Hannah.

Andrew
Andrew

Return to General