Guidebook for RRG

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Guidebook for RRG

Postby *Chris* » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:10 pm

I'm wondering if anybody has a guidebook for RRG, KY that they'd be willing to lend to me? I intend to purchase my own while I'm south but I'd like to get an up-front look to help plan ahead. Many thanks.
*Chris*

Re: Guidebook for RRG

Postby Charley » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:30 pm

Ours (Matt's and mine) are coming in at the end of the week / beginning of next, not a problem if you want to have a look through it.

Charley
-Wo xiang mei er, mei xin, bian shi tou-
Charley

Postby *Chris* » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:23 am

Thanks Charley... but I actually already have a line on one now. Appriciate the offer though.
*Chris*

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:15 pm

There's a new version of the guide book that just came out too....and I think that's already outdated! But it does have a bit more stuff than the previous guidebook, and I think the layout is improved.

It's tempting to pick it up, but at this rate yet another version will be out in just a couple of years.
granite_grrl

Postby Fred » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:43 am

I noticed that the other day on their website that they released a second edition to the full color guidebook. Didn't the other one just come out a year or two ago?
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:07 am

Fred wrote:I noticed that the other day on their website that they released a second edition to the full color guidebook. Didn't the other one just come out a year or two ago?
Yep, thats what Bec was talking about. I guess there are some new areas and quite a bit of development has been happening.

For most traveling climbers any of the old books would have way more areas to visit and good routes than they would ever have time to do. I'll have to do my best to keep Bec from buying the latest edition and wait at least until the third before getting another. I'm still pretty happy with my old Jarrard/Snyder book, arguably I don't spend much time down there though.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:56 am

chossmonkey wrote:
Fred wrote:I'll have to do my best to keep Bec from buying the latest edition and wait at least until the third before getting another.

:mrgreen: Don't worry, I'm waiting for at least the third edition to come out too. The areas in the new guide book look pretty good though. Its not just small walls with just a couple routes on them. Its mostly new walls down in the Pendergrass area (the area of land bough by the RRGCC) with a decent number of routes on each.

Speaking of the PMRP, they managed to make the mortgage for both 2007 and 2008 last year. Looking at the RRGCC site they've just started collecting for 2009. I totally need to get back to the PMRP and finish off Breakfast Burrito next time I'm down there.
granite_grrl

Postby *Chris* » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:46 am

granite_grrl wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
Fred wrote:I'll have to do my best to keep Bec from buying the latest edition and wait at least until the third before getting another.

:mrgreen: Don't worry, I'm waiting for at least the third edition to come out too. The areas in the new guide book look pretty good though. Its not just small walls with just a couple routes on them. Its mostly new walls down in the Pendergrass area (the area of land bough by the RRGCC) with a decent number of routes on each.

Speaking of the PMRP, they managed to make the mortgage for both 2007 and 2008 last year. Looking at the RRGCC site they've just started collecting for 2009. I totally need to get back to the PMRP and finish off Breakfast Burrito next time I'm down there.

The guide I've got my hands on (2nd Ed.) is nice. Don't know what more I could ask for. Question though... I'm planning on bringing a bit of cash as a donation to the mortgage for the PMRP. What's typical/fair for a 5 day climbing spell? I'm thinking 50 bucks?
*Chris*

Postby martha » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:15 am

Check out information at the red river climbers coalition to see what they say about donations and where/how to make them.

Think about what places like the Gunks and Kamouraska Charge and then decide I would say.

Also, the Climbers Coalition website will have current info on closures etc for when you are down there. Be sure to check that out as there are often areas closed for one reason or another.

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:57 am

They have it set up that you can make a donation through PayPal on the RRGCC website. I would just pay whatever you feel comfortable with, there's no need to justify a minimum or a maximum. I went down to the rock trip, and while I wasn't overly impressed with the clinic I attended it was really good knowing that the money I paid for it was going to the PMRP.

Make an effort to go down and check out the area too, this last trip was the first time going down there. Though I'd me careful going down if you're not sure if you're able to make it back up that hill :mrgreen: (FWIW I don't think you'll have a problem unless you're in a bigger vehicle with an undersized engine, I think the hill looks worse than it is).

When you going down there again? Easter, during the Canadian invasion?
granite_grrl

Return to General