Ass shot VS Flat on your Face shot

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Ass shot VS Flat on your Face shot

Postby mathieu » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:13 pm

Check out this photo

I'm just wondering why the hell all those bouldering pictures have to be top down? Ask any non climber to look at photos such as this one (and there is a few other, sorry to pick on this one) and they will have a sorta confused look on their face. Seriously as an armchair climber I find very little aestheticly pleasing about photos such as this one.

I see little difference between the typical climbing TR ass shot to this sort of crawling on your stomack, face contorted bouldering picture.
mathieu

Postby The Mitt » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:59 am

The only reason I can think of is getting the face in there. From the top its so much easier to see the persons face.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:53 am

Facial expressions and capturing difficult hand holds are the best bouldering shots as far as I'm concerned. With ropped climbing you can sometimes get away with taking distant shots to show off exposure but it's not often the case for bouldering unless it's a highball.

Scan through a climbing mag and I'm almost willing to bet that 95% of climbing photos will show faces.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby jeremy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:58 am

Hey mat, everyone doesn't have a nice french ass like you :roll:
jeremy

Postby mathieu » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:42 pm

jeremy wrote:Hey mat, everyone doesn't have a nice french ass like you :roll:

You are true Jeremy.

I agree that seeing the climbers face is important, i'd also agree that it makes the picture better. I guess you rarely see those pictures in roped climbing cause they need a lot of time to set up VS a bouldering problem where you can hop on top of the problem and shoost a few pictures without much problem.

I actually had never found anything wrong with those top down (rock on bottom) photos until a co-worker looked over my shoulder as I was on my favorite website ( BETA-SOURCE of course) and he saw the picture of Antoine doing some boulder problem on Dover (I think). My co-worker was like "WTF mate, what the hell is that guy doing?". I then showed him the same picture set up but with a different subject and he didn't seem to mind the picture, or even question (or show any concern) as to what she was doing. :wink: .
mathieu

Return to General