information!!!

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

information!!!

Postby andrea » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:33 am

hello!!
I'm the person who wrote you in Italian yesterday.....I hope there was an Italian person in your forum because my English is really bad and so it's very difficult for me to write in English.....but you didn't answer me and deleted my post......I think it isn't really polite.......in any case I'll try again today...this time in English.............
I'm a climber and I'd like to come to canada with my family next summer: so I'm looking for a place that is also right for babies, easy to reach with a stroller......
could you help me?????
andrea

Re: information!!!

Postby Fred » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:18 am

Sorry Andrea. I did nor recognize the language and thought it was automated internet spam.

What area of Canada do you want to visit? We are located on the East Coast. The West coast is about 5000 kms away.

There is climbing in the following provinces:

British Columbia
Alberta
Ontario
Quebec
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Newfoundland

The other provinces are relatively flat with no climbing.

Also let us know what kind of climbing you are looking for: trad, sport, ice, bouldering and we can give you more specific information.

Hope this helps.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby andrea » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:34 am

CIAO

thank you for answering me........we're organising our honeymoon but it's really difficult for us because we've got a baby and we can't find a good guide in Italy that can help us to choose good locations suitable for our daughter too.

we'd like to visit Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswickand Nova Scotia.
we're landing in Toronto and, after a week in this town, we're starting our trip by a motorhome: fist of all blue mountains and then Ottawa, Montreal...untill Nova Scotia. we're staying in Canada for a month (august).

what do you think about 'motorhome'? is it the best and easiest solution in canada?

kind of climbing: sport and bouldering

grade: easy for my partner and medium for me

bye
andrea

Postby Fred » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:43 am

Most places will be difficult to access with a stroller. You might consider a child carrier (backpack) instead. My wife and I have something like this (link below) and can make it to most of the climbing areas.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 0647277683

A motorhome would be an ideal way to get around. Lots of campgrounds provided you come between May and October. November to April are cold and icy.

Places that are worth visiting on your trip for climbing are listed below. There are several other spots but these are the highlights.

Lions Head, Ontario
These limestone cliffs are located on the Bruce Penninsula 4 hours (?) North West of Toronto. Most of the climbing is sport but you have to rappell in then climb out. This may be a difficult area with kids unless you have help from others.

Niagra Glen, Ontario
This fantastic bouldering destination is located just below Niagra Falls 1 hour (?) South East of Toronto. There are trails here that would be accessible with a stroller but you'd have to carry it down some stairs first. It can get hot here in summer. September and October is best time for climbing here. There are currently talks about closing this area for climbers. Check before you go.

Val-David, Quebec
Situated about 1 hour North West of Montreal. Great climbing on granite cliffs. Some sport routes but mainly traditional climbing. There is also some bouldering here but I've never tried it. I hear it's good. There are climbing fees here. Come prepared with cash there will be someone at the trail head selling tickets.

Kamouraska, Quebec
Fantastic sport climbing with lots of easy routes well protected climbs very scenic view. This is a must do if you enjoy sport climbing but you'll want to bring some help. There is a campground nearby and they also sell passes for the climbing. Unfortunately, you will encounter fees for most climbing in Quebec.

Welsford, New Brunswick
Lots of climbing here on beautiful granite. Found 40min South of Fredericton. No crowds so you'll have lots of peace. Most of the climbing is traditional but there is one smaller cliff with lots of sport routes but not as nice as the main cliff. No fees for climbing. Free camping. You can park your motorhome near the climbing. Again, need a child carrier (backpack) to access these cliffs.

St-Andrews, New Brunswick
Sport climbing on basalt cliffs. Fun for a couple days and St-Andrews is beautiful in summer. A nice town to visit on the ocean. You can go out on a boat and see whales.

Dover Island, Nova Scotia
World class bouldering on granite near the crashing surf just off the coast of Peggy's Cove. Must park and take a small boat over to the island. You can plan a day trip or camp overnight. If you bring a tent I recommend camping one or two nights as this is one of the finest places on earth. Once on the island you can get around with your child carrier (backpack). Near the bouldering areas there is lots of flat ground for kids to play. The world renowned sea side town of Peggy's cove is very scenic and worth seeing.

Now that you have that info you should be able to do some internet searches for these areas. Also, check out the links button at the top of this site and you can find some valuable information. We'll be glad to answer any questions. Also, if you plan to climb in New Brunswick let me know and I'll try my best to get out and give you a tour.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:05 pm

Hey Andrea,

I'm Fred's wife, Cara. I agree with all of his suggestions, and encourage you to find a child carrier back pack. How old will your child be during your trip? Finding a third person to come with you to help with belay/childcare is key as well as many of the areas have rocky belays, and unsafe-ish areas for toddlers to wander.

Next August, our kids will be 3.5 and 1 year old. let us know when you arrive or when you plan on coming and I know that I'd be glad to help you and your husband with the baby and climbing in New Brunswick and even Nova Scotia on Dover if we can swing the vacation time. :)

Cheers.

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby peter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:46 pm

Se rimanete in Blue Mountain, Ontario, Lion's Head di s è il più vicino a voi.
(Non ci è montagna in Blue Mountain.)
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby andrea » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:46 am

hi to everyone!!!HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you very much for all......

.....but there 's been a "little misunderstanding :roll: " I'm a man :lol: :lol: !!!!!!!!!!!because in Italy Andrea is a common name for man :oops: ......my wife's name is sabrina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!our daughter's name's anna and she'll be 1.5 next august...

we've got a kind of backpack.......we used it in dolomiti last summer.....we'll surely take it with us

you're really kind.....now we've pretty material and information we can work on planning our trip
which temperatures will we find in these areas in august...and does it rain in this period??

if you decide to plan a trip in Italy.....contact us.......0039 0543 745991.

bye bye for the moment.......
andrea

Postby Fred » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:23 am

August is a nice time of year but it can get very warm on some days 30celcius but on the coast (like in Nova Scotia) it is very pleasant. Inland Ontario might be a bit warmer. August is also nicer in the evening because it cools down more so than July. End of August and September are nice for climbing.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:09 pm

Sorry for assuming you were a woman! LOL. :oops:

I may take you up on the offer to help find climbing in Italy. We were in Spain last fall (2007) and only found it to be good but not great. Perhaps some local Beta and a guide would be helpful.

Of course I know that the food and wine in Italy are amazing... so that is just a bonus! ;)

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby granite_grrl » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:23 pm

Regarding the climbing in Ontario....if you're used to climbing the limestone in Europe then you'll be sorely dissapointed in what Canada, especially Ontario, has to offer. If you still insist on climbing in Ontario then I'd head to White Bluff instead of Lion's Head (right across the Bay from LH). You hike to the base of the cliff so it's much more children friendly.

Try to take advantage of the Granite in Eastern Canada instead, you'll love your time on the Atlantic ocean, the coast of Nova Scotia is beautiful.
granite_grrl

Postby Fred » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Are there any moderates or easy routes at White Bluff though? I seem to recall the easiest routes being 5.11.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:13 pm

Bah! forget the climbing at White Bluff.. just hang out on the beach and swim! it is gorgeous!!! and warm!

martha

Postby chossmonkey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Fred wrote:Are there any moderates or easy routes at White Bluff though? I seem to recall the easiest routes being 5.11.

It depends on how easy or hard "easy" and "medium" are. I always get the impression everyone in Europe climbs at a higher level than in N.A.

There is only one 5.8, but as far as sport climbing goes I'd say most routes at White Bluff are easy/medium. It also has perhaps the highest concentration of 5.11s and easy 12's in Ontario.

Old Baldy and Metcalfe would probably be worth checking out as well if in Ontario.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Return to General