Treadwall??

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Treadwall??

Postby excited newbie » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:05 pm

I was climbing at the Stronghold in Calgary and they have this nifty gadget that ive never seen before. Its like a tread mill only its a climbing wall. The weight of your body keeps it moving, it was pretty cool. I dont know if the UNB climbing gym has one or not but the guy at the counter said he bought it used for 2000 bucks. I'll probably buy one for my basement.
excited newbie

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:41 pm

Hmmm, I think the money and space would be better spent on a bouldering wall in you basement instead.
granite_grrl

Postby excited newbie » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:40 pm

Actually, ive got a question about that. I was thinking about starting a little business making portable bouldering walls and i thought id get the forums opinion first. So, do you think there would be a market for that?
excited newbie

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:01 pm

I think there would be, definitely.. people love to rock climb! It's not a huge money maker though.. on account of you need to actually travel with the thing, sit there and have it running, and get customers. But I think its quite popular, at events and stuff.

As to your initial comment. oh god, those treadmills are the worst thing for training! You'd never use it. They suck. I've seen one in a gym. Once. and I don't think it had been used in 10 years. 'nuff said!
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby excited newbie » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:20 pm

Ill take your word for it mitch, but why is it bad for training? It seems to force you to use fluid motions instead of being a choppy climber. I dont know a thing about them but they seem ok.
excited newbie

Postby dcentral » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:29 pm

I can see how it would get pretty boring. You can't really change directions too fast, there's no angle changes. You are also probably limited in the types of and size of holds you can use.

I'm sure there's a small market for portable bouldering walls. But like Mitch said you probably wouldn't make a lot of money at it. It's a fair bit of work.

Most people who put a bouldering cave in their house do so because they are staying put for awhile.
dcentral

Postby mitchleblanc » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:05 am

excited newbie wrote:Ill take your word for it mitch, but why is it bad for training? It seems to force you to use fluid motions instead of being a choppy climber. I dont know a thing about them but they seem ok.

Thanks for trusting me ;) Now let me try to convince you!

First of all, what dcentral meant by "there's no angle change" is that once you hop on the wall, it's a constant angle, until you hop off. The reason he says this as a negative is because when you build a bouldering wall, you want variety! He also noted that you can't traverse, downclimb, etc.. A treadmill (as for running) is *insanely* repetitive.

And that, frankly, is all the downside you need! The main obstacle to working out (as anyone who trains will attest to) is boredom, and motivation. I had a gym at my house that was pretty sizeable, and even that got insanely boring. You just lose motivation, and stop doing it.

Plus, $2000 is a load of money. You could build an awesome home gym (where you could set proper routes, and actually have fun climbing) for that much, including holds, chin up bar, etc. Man, pay me to build you a gym!

Plus, if you are learning "fluid" climbing on a treadmill.. What good does it do you? Real rock doesn't move any more than a wall. You will learn to bouldering smoothly on your own, as you improve. If the treadmill isn't moving continously (which would be ridiculous) than how is it actually any different? Can't you still stop and be choppy?

Lastly: They had one at the Pepsi Max booth in Hyde Park the other day.. and it was called The Wall of Non-Terror, I kid you not. If that's not reason enough to convince you not to buy one, I don't know what is!
mitchleblanc

Postby dcentral » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:19 am

but you can say "weeee" when it resets. That's got to be good for some kind of motivation.
dcentral

Postby excited newbie » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:50 am

Touche
excited newbie

Treadmill

Postby peter » Wed May 04, 2005 8:33 am

I think there is one at CFB Greenwood, or used to be. Has anyone climbed there? I heard it was "small", in comparison with what you could build more traditionally, so to speak.
peter

Postby The Mitt » Wed May 04, 2005 9:17 am

I saw it and spent 30 sec on it. one word CRAP.

Mitt
The Mitt

Bouldertron

Postby Pierre » Wed May 04, 2005 2:05 pm

Here's what one needs.... The bouldertron from Crag Maker...

http://www.cragmaker.com/bouldertron.htm
Pierre

Postby Fred » Wed May 04, 2005 2:49 pm

ahahahahaha LOL

busted a gut
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Treadmill

Postby peter » Wed May 04, 2005 3:13 pm

Oooohhhh! "With Matrix Finish". I am sold. My "finish" on any boulder problem generally involves my knees and stomach scraping on rock.
peter

Postby Richard Eh! » Wed May 04, 2005 4:05 pm

And GLOWHOLDS!!! FOR THOSE WITH FAILIN' PEEPERS! sIGN ME UP!! :roll:
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed May 04, 2005 7:17 pm

Hey! You guys are assholes! I like the bouldertron! The S-shape is actually really good, it's wide, a good height, and it's got lots of T-nuts. The glowing light route system is actually wicked, also. If you ingrates had ever set routes before, you would know that taping sucks. The glowing holds... not so sure about see-through holds, but if they feel the same, then it makes no difference. This would actually be a wicked thing to have in your house, if you could use your own holds.

Don't get me wrong, it's not worth the 10,000 dollar price tag :shock:
mitchleblanc

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed May 04, 2005 7:17 pm

PLUS it has variable angle.

Bouldertron, here I come! Maybe I can get sponsored by them!
mitchleblanc

Return to General