Student at Queen's University dies in a climbing accident

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Student at Queen's University dies in a climbing accident

Postby Pierre » Fri May 06, 2005 2:59 pm

I'm been curious about buildering polices for once in awhile I use Mount Allison University Sand Stone building for buildering. I was looking up buildering policies on the internet and found this story on Queens Universites website. http://qnc.queensu.ca/qnc_index.php

A 19 year climber died this Friday climbing a limestone building at Queens Unversity.

From The National Post:
3-storey fall kills 'skilled' mountaineer
The school year was done and summer was so close he could taste it, but as Nicholas Beaulieu strolled through Queen's University campus a week ago today, something told him the day was ripe for a climb.

I'm not sure if a skilled mountainer would climb three stories without protection..

I figuring Queens will have a new Buildering policy after this..
Pierre

Re: Student at Queen's University dies in a climbing acciden

Postby mathieu » Fri May 06, 2005 4:32 pm

Pierre wrote:I'm not sure if a skilled mountainer would climb three stories without protection..

#1)Its not the fact that you climb without protection. I know this may sound cheezy but in the mountains its a balance of risk, most of the time three stories is barely considered run-out. You sometimes solo or climb from belay to belay or do running belays to move fast and other things such as conditions and so on are taken in consideration.

#2) Skilled mountaineers VS experienced mountaineer. At 19 years old he may of been skilled but experience is what helps you survive.

#3) Its still sad that someone died, I hope my comments didn't come out as rude

#4) Every fall is a ground fall in bouldering so take care.
mathieu

Postby Pierre » Fri May 06, 2005 6:38 pm

I agree it's an unfortunate accident.

I am concerned now about buildering around MTA campus now.. There is no formal policy for buildering on campus. It's basically out of sight out of mind.

I just hope an accident like this doesn't change that informal policy to a policy of no buildering. It's one of the few places close to home that I can use for training.
Pierre

Postby dcentral » Fri May 06, 2005 6:47 pm

There's a bouldering spot here, that people climb all the time. There's a lot of experienced climbers who climb high enough there that you really should be on a rope and these guys do it in their shower slippers. I guess they feel comfortable doing it but it doesn't really makes sense to me since so many other people use this area too, and there are a lot of people that walk by in the run of a day. I understand why some people solo, to me thought this just seems like showing off more then anything else.

Also being a mountaineer doesn't mean you are automatically a good climber. I have a friend who has done a lot of mountaineer, but he doesn't really like going out for a day of climbing at a crag.

Three stories is pretty high. Doesn't really seem worth it.

It is sad that he died though.
dcentral

Return to General