Chopper on Everest.

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Chopper on Everest.

Postby lukelovesclimbin » Tue May 31, 2005 2:53 pm

I still don't belive this, but i was told that a EuroCopter landed on the summit. anyone heard anything like that. i thought that the aitr was too thin to support a chopper.
Climb on
Luke
Yeah I can just dyno, at the very top and I don't really get so scared.
You don’t really realize so much how high you are, and then you fall.
lukelovesclimbin

Postby martha » Tue May 31, 2005 3:15 pm

The second highest Helicopter rescue was made in May 1996 when Beck Weathers was rescued above 20,000ft

"Helicopters can lose the ability to lift at heights above 20,000 feet, and no one had ever dared to fly one above the Icefall before. In an extraordinary act of heroism, Lieutenant Colonel Madan Khatri Chhetri of the Nepalese army flew his helicopter up 22,000 feet to where Beck Weathers lay. At Weathers' insistence, a Taiwanese climber who was in worse condition than he was flown out first. It was the second-highest helicopter rescue in history."

I don't think a helicopter has flown above that....but I haven't looked into it.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Chris » Tue May 31, 2005 3:20 pm

Chris

Postby martha » Tue May 31, 2005 3:23 pm

wow, the weather must have been perfect as it can get hella windy up there!!! but, this is the peak season for good weather.

great feat, but I hope they don't bother doing it again but instead use it simply as knowledge for rescues.

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby dcentral » Tue May 31, 2005 4:18 pm

Wow, that's crazy.

Helicopters don't even really like flying all the way to base camp.
dcentral

Postby Fred » Tue May 31, 2005 4:34 pm

They make high alltitude helicopters. They used one to rescue the group on Mt Logan a few days ago. They must have a more efficient air intake for combustion or something and much lighter bodies since there would be less down force from the blades.

The kicker is you can't just fly to the top and open the door and step out I don't think. The altitude difference would probably mess you up. So I imagine the cabine is pressurized like a plane.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Tue May 31, 2005 5:42 pm

You'd die in a few minutes if you just got out and walked around if you weren't aclimatized.

The climbers on Mt. Logan were rescued at about the height of everst base camp.
dcentral

Postby PaulB » Tue May 31, 2005 7:23 pm

Fred wrote:So I imagine the cabine is pressurized like a plane.

There are very few helicopters made with pressurized cabins, as it makes them heavy. I imagine the pilot just wore an oxygen mask, same as climbers do.

The link given above says that in a test flight, they took the machine above 10,000m. :shock:
PaulB

Postby tracstarr » Tue May 31, 2005 7:47 pm

yeah, i watched a special on it the other day. really cool. and crazy. but don't expect an everest rescue by heli anytime soon.
tracstarr

Postby martha » Tue May 31, 2005 8:03 pm

tracstarr wrote:yeah, i watched a special on it the other day. really cool. and crazy. but don't expect an everest rescue by heli anytime soon.

There have been everest heli rescues, but no higher than 22,000 ft.

martha

Return to General