Climber survives 100-foot fall on Cathedral

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Climber survives 100-foot fall on Cathedral

Postby theriault » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:36 am

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/featured/story/fall081011

sending positive vibes his way! happy he's alright!
Marty
theriault

Re: Climber survives 100-foot fall on Cathedral

Postby CaliMan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:53 pm

and he started back up...
Bring water next time, and don't drop your gear! Lucky man!
CaliMan

Postby *Chris* » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:03 pm

I think the issue was not really that gear was dropped. He was cleaning an aid pitch by jugging a fixed line. By the sounds of it he was disorientated/confused and both ascenders came off. He fell onto a backup knot.

When cleaning you're often taking your jugs of the line while passing pieces. This can leave you connected in with a single jug. Jugs can do funny stuff. They torque themselves off ropes. Their teeth can slip.

Tying frequent backup knots can be a pain in the arse and costs speed... but flowers happens. Clearly, it happened to this poor fella. I can't even fathom a 100 footer. Hell no. I tend to tie backups in every 30 feet or so with 2 ascenders and about every 50 feet with 1 ascender / GriGri combo. This accident makes me reflect a bit on that system.

Wishing this dude a quick recovery.
*Chris*

Postby Dom » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:12 am

*Chris* wrote:I think the issue was not really that gear was dropped. He was cleaning an aid pitch by jugging a fixed line. By the sounds of it he was disorientated/confused and both ascenders came off. He fell onto a backup knot.

When cleaning you're often taking your jugs of the line while passing pieces. This can leave you connected in with a single jug. Jugs can do funny stuff. They torque themselves off ropes. Their teeth can slip.

Tying frequent backup knots can be a pain in the arse and costs speed... but flowers happens. Clearly, it happened to this poor fella. I can't even fathom a 100 footer. Hell no. I tend to tie backups in every 30 feet or so with 2 ascenders and about every 50 feet with 1 ascender / GriGri combo. This accident makes me reflect a bit on that system.

Wishing this dude a quick recovery.

Hey Chris thanks for explaining this. Now I understand what happened.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Return to General