Caving -near- Peacock's Flower Shop in Saint John

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Caving -near- Peacock's Flower Shop in Saint John

Postby Andrew » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:48 pm

There's a cave near Rockwood Park and Peacock's FLower Shop in Saint John. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this cave. I basically need more specific directions to it plus:

1. DO I need a rope - if so, how long?
2. If i need the rope, do I need a harness and rapelling gear?
3. What should I expect inside? Very narrow or low passages?
4. Is it wet, what kinda clothes to wear
5. How far in

I'm thinking of going in on Saturday or Sunday morning. If anyone wants to come, give me a shout. If anyone has information, please let me know.

email address: martina at nbnet.nb.ca

PS: I know Steve has been in there, but he's away now
Andrew

Postby thicks » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:06 pm

Andrew, I edited your email address so that it wont be scanned, picked up and thrown into a spam list. Spammers get loads of email address from discussion boards. If you prefer I left it the way it was, let me know and I will change it back.
Cheers and enjoy the cave.
Tyler
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:41 pm

Andrew,

call up to the Rockwood Park Interpretations centre. I think Cameron or Joe may be able to help you out with info. If they can't, they can probably get some details from Ray Walsh for you.

Chris
Chris

Postby Matt Peck » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:05 pm

Hey Andrew, as a climber, if you are taking a rope, why WOULDN'T you take your harness?
(I used the caps for emphasis, not mockery, sorry)
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby Andrew » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:32 pm

Matt,

That's a very valid thought. I was thinking the same thing when I said that, however, the reason is that you may only have the rope as a way to find your return path... or to help you down a difficult drop or slope where you wouldn't really need to be attached to the rope. One may just need to have the rope as a bit of extra help. I have a short length of rope (50-60 feet) that I would use for somthing like that which i don't use for climbing anything but rockwood top roped.

Cya

Matt Peck wrote:Hey Andrew, as a climber, if you are taking a rope, why WOULDN'T you take your harness?
(I used the caps for emphasis, not mockery, sorry)
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:34 pm

Chris,

I would LOVE any info from someone who's been there. Do you want to come with me, Chris? Any interest? I have someone else who said he wants to come with, but it's always more fun with more than two.

Andrew
Andrew

Postby dcentral » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:37 pm

Could just need a hand line.
dcentral

Postby vbpad » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:46 am

hmmmm more caving andrew i might be interested but it might only be a weeknight
vbpad

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:31 pm

Okay. Just tell me when you can go and we'll go. I'm free this weekend if your Subaru meet is canceled !! :P

Anyone need a climbing partner this weekend?

vbpad wrote:hmmmm more caving andrew i might be interested but it might only be a weeknight
Andrew

Postby jeremy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:28 pm

I was in a cave somewhere around there a long time ago. It required a scramble up a short cliff that came right out of the water. It was very easy as far as caving goes, and about 300' long. Do you have any idea where I'm talking about?

jeremy
jeremy

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:50 pm

From the photo's ive seen on steve's site which he calls mosquito cove or somthing... that sounds about right... i think thats the same cave im talkinga bout. I haven't actually been to this cave yet.

jeremy wrote:I was in a cave somewhere around there a long time ago. It required a scramble up a short cliff that came right out of the water. It was very easy as far as caving goes, and about 300' long. Do you have any idea where I'm talking about?

jeremy
Andrew

Postby Brent » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:05 am

There are several caves in the Saint John area. There is one on the westside near Dominion Park or Greenhead it is the cave in the cliff side. There is another along the handi trail at Rockwood park (it is probably the best). The third that I know of is the Peacocks cave. There is a trail on the right side of the road a few hundred yards north? (towards the hospital). If you come to the dirt road on your right you have gone too far. I can't remember but I think once you find the trail it is easy to find the cave. The entrance for the first 25 feet is big and then you have to slide in a small slot at the bottom left corner. It is a very tight fit but it opens up into a large room. You can keep going down and right from the large room but it isn't worth it. Coveralls work best as it is dirty and there is broken glass work gloves probably aren't a bad idea. The Rockwood cave is much cleaner and longer.
Brent

Postby Brent » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:06 am

A few hundred yards North of Peacocks.
Brent

john

Postby john » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:59 am

Brents discription is accurate, I will just add the peacocks cave is very cool but has tons of glass, no ropes are needed for anyof the 3 SJ caves. Once you are in peacocks head left through the small tunnel into a big room with exits to another small tunnel the last one is scary with a very very very tight squeeze to the end. Yopu know you are at the end if the tunnel ends on an uphill slab. Let me know if you make it to the very end I am curoius. I was in there with some little kids the summer and they fit but I didn't try despite doing it years ago. I like to the the extra bulk I seemed to have gained is all forarms.
john

Return to General