Hey West Coasters -- Alpine

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Hey West Coasters -- Alpine

Postby dcentral » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:57 am

I was wondering if anyone out there has done any peaks on Vancouver Island.

I'm looking to do one that can be done in the summer time with out gear -- seeing as I don't have any for alpine.

I'm getting the guide book its just not here yet. Even if you haven't climbed them do you know of some peaks I should look at?

Peace out.
dcentral

Postby PaulB » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:11 pm

You can get up Mt. Arrowsmith by a 3rd class route, but I don't know the details. I was browsing through the new guidebook for the Island the other day and there is lots of good looking stuff in there.

Bivouac.com is also a good resource. You have to pay to get full access, but it's well worth it for anyone who climbs on the Coast.
PaulB

Re: Hey West Coasters -- Alpine

Postby PaulB » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:20 pm

dcentral wrote:I'm looking to do one that can be done in the summer time with out gear -- seeing as I don't have any for alpine.

I forgot to mention, there are lots of alpine routes that don't require anything more than standard rock climbing gear. "Alpine" doesn't always mean that you'll have to deal with snow, ice or glaciers. Even then, all you need is an ice axe (sometimes ice tools), crampons and a bit of knowledge about glacier travel and you'll be good to go.

Have fun!
PaulB

Postby dcentral » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:56 pm

Yeah the guide book is quite thick.

I know a couple of people who've done Mt. Arrowsmith. It sounds like a good time.

I guess it just depends on who I go with which ones we can do. I know from talking to someone else that most of the climbs with technical rock climbing are at port alberni up island.
dcentral

Postby PaulB » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:02 pm

You might want to check the ACC's Vancouver Island Section summer trip schedule for some ideas.
PaulB

Postby dcentral » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:16 pm

Gold Star for you sir.
dcentral

What about...

Postby climberwannabe » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:48 am

You could also try the Comox Glacier... I think its mostly a hike to the top, if you are into to glacier travelling.
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby dcentral » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:27 am

Yeah. I've heard about it and know someone who's climbing it next week.

But I don't have ice gear and have no glaicer experience.

Looks like we'll be doing either Mt. ALbert Edward, or a Traverse across Mt. Joan to Mt. Curran.
dcentral

Postby dcentral » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:30 pm

Well I finally go out and tried to hike Mt. ALbert Edward 2093m in Strathcona Park.

You can see the pictures here http://www.shutterbook.com/albums/dcentral/12855

It was a good day a bit epic but whatever. We never made it to the top. It rained for most of the day and the whole area was socked in with clouds. We were still making good time, then at about 1.5 km from the summit the wind picked up with hail and snow. So we made the decision to turn around. After an hour like hike in that garbage we made it back to the tree line and stopped for some food in a shelter area. Then the clouds rolled out to reveal a blue bird sky. Which was a bit unfair I thought. But made for a much more enjoyable trip down.

I'd like to try it again but I think I'd like to visit some other peaks first.
dcentral

Return to General