neuropeptide Y

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

neuropeptide Y

Postby Fred » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:25 pm

i was watching discovery and they just had a show about "neuropeptide Y". Apparently it's a natural chemical in our brains that controls adrenaline which causes stress and anxiety. The US military are doing research on this to see how it benefits soliders during warfare. That is, if they can produce more neuropeptide Y they can in turn keep their cool and be less stressed. They believe eventually they can make it into a pharmaceutical product.

I just thought how this could apply to climbing. A couple pills of Neuropeptide Y before a scary send would control your adrenaline overflow and help you keep you cool to get you through the climb. Interesting...
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:51 pm

Did it talk about it effecting people the other way. Doing stupid stuff they wouldn't normally do if their adraline was pumping?

Just curious to see if it would go the other way too.
dcentral

Postby Fred » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:11 am

I don't know. I didn't get all the details but it just caught my attention. I could definitely see how it could make someone invisible though (in a bad way).
Fred
Site Admin

NPY

Postby climberwannabe » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:55 pm

No, the 'NPY' doesnt create euphoria or a higher level of adrenaline. It is the bodies natural product to allow a person to control stress appropriately. Genetically, some ppl have higher levels of NPY and it is believed that physical training boosts the bodies levels.

Having a higher level of NPY also helps with short term memory in highly stressful situations (such as battle, as the tv show was refering to). It was really interesting.

When they were talking about creating a pharmacutical (spelling???) product, it was directed more towards those with low natural levels of NPY who are more prone to Post tramatic stress disorder (PTSD). And a lateral study of this hormone is in the future be able to help those with PTSD or prevent it before it happens.
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Re: NPY

Postby Fred » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:32 pm

climberwannabe wrote:No, the 'NPY' doesnt create euphoria or a higher level of adrenaline.

sorry if I wasn't clear. I think I was trying to say it controls adrenaline. That is, it brings it down so you don't lose your cool or 'stress out'. Adrenaline make you all crazy and you end up making bad decisions. sorta like you are saying.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby mathieu » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:50 pm

Fred wrote:...it could make someone invisible though (in a bad way).

Name that movie:

- We are invincible!!!!

- Dude, we are good but people can still see us.
mathieu

Postby Matt Peck » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:55 am

bollocks, Waynes World?
I dunno.
Pharmacuticals.....ha ha. Mass produced fingernail skin.
Sorry, that spelling error was just funny.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Return to General