2006 Climb for Wishes

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

2006 Climb for Wishes

Postby The Teth » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:40 pm

As president of Climb Nova Scotia I have all sorts of stuff show up in my email inbox. I thought I might as well post this one. Someone might be interested, and if not, then someone might at least be amused by it (“highest free standing mountain in the world?”) But hey, its for a good cause. You would probably even get media acclaim for being a “mountain climber” for this hike.

Have you or anyone you know ever considered walking up the side of the highest free standing mountain in the world?
The Make-A-Wish Foundation® of the Atlantic Provinces is continuing its search for adults of all ages, fitness levels and experience who are interested in making Children’s dreams come true by taking part in the 2006 Climb for Wishes.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation® grants special wishes to children between the ages of 3 and 17 who are living with life-threatening illnesses.

On January 22, 2006 Tusker Trails, with their reputation as the most experienced and qualified trekking company on Mount Kilimanjaro, will once again be leading a group of volunteers to the summit of Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Africa. Eddie Frank, Tusker Trail's founder, was born and raised in Africa and has been leading Kilimanjaro climbs for 28 years. Since his first climb in 1977, he has climbed Kilimanjaro 26 times. Eddie's mission has been to build Tusker's 18 guides into the finest medically qualified guiding team on the mountain.

This is the third time the Atlantic Provinces Chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation® has offered this adventure in support of children living with life threatening illnesses since the Chapter’s inception four years ago. All past participants have completed the climb for different personal reasons but they all agree it is one of the highlights of their lives, creating memories and friendships that last a lifetime.

Despite its title, the 2006 Climb for Wishes is not a technical climb - it is more like a very long hike with a huge sense of accomplishment at the end! The secret to success lies in the Swahili word ‘Pole-Pole’; pronounced ‘POH-lee-POH-lee’, it means slowly and that is truly the best tactic for this trek: the slower you go, the easier your body adapts to the increasing altitude.

Please see the attached files for more information and do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Lisa Blair
Operations Manager
Make-A-Wish Foundation®
Of the Atlantic Provinces
Tel: (902) 466-WISH (9474) or 1-877-466-WISH (9474)
FAX: (902) 466-0602
lisa.blair@makeawish.ca

The Teth

Return to General