History of the grigri from RC.com

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

History of the grigri from RC.com

Postby john » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:37 am

Well, I'm surprised that this thread just sits here, obviously waiting for one such as I.

it's an interesting story to be sure Ninja. However, you may be shocked to hear the real story. I have this one instead and once started must now effuse prolifically in a Cliff Clavenly like effort to narrate the truth of the matter which has not been widely publicized the reasons of which you will soon see with clarity.

story.

The strange etymology of the Gri Gri name actually shocks and embarrasses us in the discrete western world as it originates from the Penis Gourds of the West Papua Indonesia and New Guinea natives and the masturbatory practices thereoff.

Please do not be offended dear reader, and follow along with a scientific frame of mind, for these stories are meant to inform and teach, and not titulate. So stop your snickering right now please.

It's true.

The male natives of the SE Asian tribal species wear penis gourds both to protect and warm the Penis and to denote social status. The longer the gourd, the higher the social status of the individual. The highest status attained comes with the translated term westerners loosely call "The Big Dick". That is the teminology applied to the chief or leader, who is seen wearing the longest, and thickest penis gourd.

The term for rubbing the Gourds is called "ghrei" which interestingly is the original root from which "Christ" is derived, which is *ghrei- or "to rub." (Contracted to *ghri-). When rubbing to pleasurable finish and completion, the islanders would call that "ghri-ghri". They had learned this word "Ghrei" from the early missionaries when the Missionaries would try and teach the islanders to restrict their frequent embarrassingly public and messy sexual urges. The Islanders mistook the intent of the wording and made it their own: applying it to the frequent rubbing of the gourd when one was without woman but thinking one should be with one.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/wotd/wotd ... 2003-12-25

A young french explorer who was also a climber had wandered through this area of Penis gourd rubbing natives, and seeing the islanders conduct the motion which they called "GhriGhri", thought it was eerily similar the the motion any western climbing young man would make while feeding rope through the belay camming device while toproping a parner who was climbing fast: which he had recently invented. It was, without question, the very same motion as performing the rubbing of the gourd. Thus was born the name "GriGri".

So the next time you pull or yank that thin cord through the GriGri, thank the Penis Gourd wearing islanders and their missionary style rubbing and count your lucky toproping gym-climbing stars your dick is swaddled in cotton and not a Gourd and you have a mechanical device to hold the rope.

You are welcome, I'm always happy to help my fellow climbers increase their knowledge. If you have questions for the professor, I keep office hours from 3:15-4:45pm Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
john

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:49 am

I guess that explains why so many wankers use them. :wink:
granite_grrl

Postby vbpad » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:51 am

you know i don't think i needed to read that and am glad i don't use a gri-gri right now
vbpad

Postby dcentral » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:33 pm

When I was working at BG, a woman said that when she was in New Orleans she went on one of those walking graveyard tours and everyone was given a little bag of trickets which were supposed to be good luck. You were supposed to leave these little bags by different graves. These little bags were called gri-gri's so who knows.
dcentral

Return to General