Circulation

Check-in here to get all the latest info on climbing gyms in Eastern Canada.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Circulation

Postby szymiec » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:47 am

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had some advice on a couple fo things.

My toes and fingers got really really cold above 6500M this winter. I have the warmest Marmot Expedition mitts and warmest Millet Everest boots but i still got numbness in 6 of 10 fingers for a month afterwards and 2 black toes! Delicious i know.

Does anyone know of any ways to stoke circulation. Food, excercises ect...?

YoYO
Chris
szymiec

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:36 am

I've heard that spicy food can increase circulation. I don't know if there is much truth to it or not.

I also read a book, "The Secrets of Warmth" I think it was called. I don't remember the author, but he wrote about how you can help increase circulation with cold and hot water baths. I don't remember the specifics, you should check that book out before running with that one. The book was mostly stuff that most anyone who spends a good deal of time in the cold knows, but it might be worth a quick skim. I found it at our public library.

The thing that has helped me the most is keeping a really close eye on my heat level and decreasing the amount of insulation to keep myself from sweating too much and getting my insulation damp. Keeping your core warm goes a long way to keeping the hands and feet warm. Not that I've ever been anywhere near as high as 6500m, except in an airplane. :)
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby martha » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:42 am

I can tell you that the warmest boots in teh world won't keep your toes warm if they are too tight. you want to be able to wiggle your tootsies and also be sure to have a moisture wick bottom layer sock and glove with the second layer being a warm wool or something...

you likely already know this.. but hey.. my 2 cents!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:05 pm

Do you have super gators?
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:55 pm

That book is "Secrets of Warmth: For Comfort or Survival" by Hal Weiss. He really pushes the vapor barrier system, have you looked much into that?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:28 am

chossmonkey wrote:That book is "Secrets of Warmth: For Comfort or Survival" by Hal Weiss. He really pushes the vapor barrier system, have you looked much into that?

I probobly should have read that book, but from the parts you read to me I would take it with a grain of salt (as you should most things). But still, the more you know the better off you are.
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:38 am

granite_grrl wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:That book is "Secrets of Warmth: For Comfort or Survival" by Hal Weiss. He really pushes the vapor barrier system, have you looked much into that?

I probobly should have read that book, but from the parts you read to me I would take it with a grain of salt (as you should most things). But still, the more you know the better off you are.

I'm glad that Fred and I aren't the only couple who has conversations on this forum.....
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:48 am

martha wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

I'm glad that Fred and I aren't the only couple who has conversations on this forum.....

:D You should have seen us on RC.com.

Besides, I think that we're the only other couple on this board.
granite_grrl

Postby Stef » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:21 pm

I heard that ginger improves circulation. I often bring ginger tea ice climbing but it is hard to say for sure if it works.

Cheers,

S.
Stef

Postby mathieu » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:54 pm

I did try sugar coated ginger for a couple seasons and it seems to work. Insulated Gators also make a huge difference. I think that being properly hydrated and lots of fuel in the belly will also make a difference. Maybe you want to start bringing bacon on your expeditions and start dipping your bagel in bacon fat in the morning. Also buttering your coffee has been tried. Oh and eating butter, straight off the stick has been also promoted by one of my climbing partners, but beware, as he told me "don't eat too much because you'll lose control of your bowel movements"
mathieu

Postby szymiec » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:21 pm

Good stuff Guys, thanks.

The boots i have are the Millet everest boots with built in super gaiters. I think they are rated to something stupid like -65C.

I bought them a size large to allow for foot swelling, which is a real issue, and i was wiggling my toes so much i got blisters on the bottom of each big toe.

Ginger, bacon and butter bagels, cant wait....

C
szymiec

Return to Gyms / Training