Pulled something..not sure what

Check-in here to get all the latest info on climbing gyms in Eastern Canada.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Pulled something..not sure what

Postby Scooter » Thu May 03, 2007 8:58 am

Was out bouldering yesterday at grover, trying a problem which had a high heel hook.... i tried to rock over on to my heel and heard this...."POP!"

It hurts, mainly, directly behind the front of my thigh probably about 4-6 inches up from the joint or whatever you call it. It hurts to walk, sit down, and move in any direction now. At first it just felt like a little tweek, but now it is aggrevated. Occasionally I get an aching (not much pain, but aching) feeling throughout my entire lower leg, but it is not consistant.

I am not sure whether I should stretch the hell out of it or keep off of it and give it some rest.

Has this happened to you? or anyone you know? Judging by the popping sound I don't think it is muscle, maybe a tendon or a ligament?

I am not a big fan of doctors, much because they say to stay off of anything for 2-4 weeks, no matter what it is. But if this unjury is pretty serious I may have to see one.

Cheers
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby granite_grrl » Fri May 04, 2007 7:24 am

Hearing a pop and not knowing what you strained are not good signs. If its to the point that it hurts to walk I'd think about visiting a doctor. In my experiance doctors typically don't know (or care) too much about tendons, ligiments and little tweaks. This is where a referral PT comes in. If you go this route get a PT that deals with athletes, too many think their job is done if you can get up and walking with a cane.

Problem is that your medical plan might not cover PT. Where I go in Hamilton it cost $70 for the initial appointment, and $50 for each session afterwards.

Sorry I couldn't give you any info on the injury itself. My hopes is that the injury isn't as bad as I'm imagining and will subside in a week or two. You may not be able to do any heel hooking for a while, but I hope you can keep climbing (even if it has to be on a rope so you aren't jumping down off problems).

Let us know how it progresses.
granite_grrl

Postby Jen » Wed May 09, 2007 8:27 am

If it's still bothering you or you're looking for a physiotherapist in the area the place I went to when I sprained my ankle is really good. It's called Medicine in Motion, over in Burnside, and deals specifically with sports injuries. The first appointment is $50 and then $45 after that I think. They also are open in the evenings and on Saturdays as well, which is nice, plus they can get you in pretty fast there (I had an appointment within days of calling).
Jen

Postby martha » Wed May 09, 2007 10:35 am

I would definatley avoid stretching it. Rest and ice are the two best things. if after a few days the pain isn't gone then see someone. if it is a shooting pain then get it checked...if it is more of a soreness like an over used muscle then I would wait it out and rest it. advil will help with any swelling.. and if there is an injury, there is swelling...it will just be inside.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby jeremy » Wed May 09, 2007 5:25 pm

scott, this happens to me all the time but never as bad as what you describe. I know exactly what your talking about, when it happens to me it feels like a crack within my hip joint while doing a heel hook, Hope it gets better...

jeremy
jeremy

Return to Gyms / Training