image verification

Tell us how to make this service better.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

image verification

Postby Anonymous » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:06 pm

not sure if phpbb has the capability, but adding image verification to the user registration should prevent the bots from creating accounts...

this is a hack for IV for unregistered posting, but don't know if it applies to user registration...
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/5338
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:08 pm

Anonymous

Postby Andrew » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:40 pm

I agree. There's no place for S P A M on this forum. There are no consumers here. Just maso-climbers :) That image verification is being used on almost all new forums these days. I'm sure Fred will add it when he's got time.

It's in everyone's best interest.

..Pick on...
Andrew

Postby martha » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:33 pm

He has looked into it but it appears very complicated and he doesn't have time over christmas. maybe after the guidebook is done!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Andrew » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:56 am

That sounds good. IT's a busy time of year... and esp. w/getting the new guidebook published!

Thanks for all the hard work, Fred, etc.!
Andrew

Postby Ecaz » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:36 am

Deffinatly need to get this done, or another way to cut down on the excess of spam. Possibly having a GM approve of the account before registration, something like verification e-mail of sorts.
- Ecaz
Ecaz

Postby Fred » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:55 am

email verifications is already in place

It is possible to set-up admin manual verification. The down side to that is when you claim an account you may not get to post for a couple of days depending on how often I check the emails.

Spam has been under control since we got a Chossmonkey.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:21 am

Fred wrote:email verifications is already in place

It is possible to set-up admin manual verification. The down side to that is when you claim an account you may not get to post for a couple of days depending on how often I check the emails.

Spam has been under control since we got a Chossmonkey.

Look at that spam flying into the chosspile! :twisted:

I do what I can.

As to the manual email verifacation, I'm not sure how well it would work. It would likely get rid of a few of them, but it might come at a sacrifice to legit new users who pick weird usernames or have off the wall email addresses. The time thing wouldn't likely be too big of a deal, as I go in and delete bogus users at least once a day. At most there would probably be a 24 hour wait.

I does seem like there has to be some way to slow the spam bots down, but my knowledge of computers is pretty limilted. So for the time being you can find me throwing trash into the chosspile. :mrgreen:
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:48 am

I think of other message boards I go one and how they manage to keep spam undercontrol.

RC.com just has a ton of Mods, so we'll assume that if any get through they're taken care of pretty quick. I also go onto Halcyon Climbing, which also has a fairly small user base. Most are around Hamilton/Buffalo and Vancouver, with a smattering of other places. I'm not on there as much, but it doesn't seem there is as much of a problem there as there is here.

You think they're doing something different? It could just be I'm not on there enough.
granite_grrl

Postby Fred » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:51 pm

it's also possible that sites with heavy traffic are more prone to spam

heavy traffic sites show up first in searches
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:27 pm

granite_grrl wrote:I think of other message boards I go one and how they manage to keep spam undercontrol.

RC.com just has a ton of Mods, so we'll assume that if any get through they're taken care of pretty quick. I also go onto Halcyon Climbing, which also has a fairly small user base. Most are around Hamilton/Buffalo and Vancouver, with a smattering of other places. I'm not on there as much, but it doesn't seem there is as much of a problem there as there is here.

You think they're doing something different? It could just be I'm not on there enough.

Wasn't Halcyon down for a while? Maybe I'm confusing it with another site that was having problems with spam and had to shut down temporarily.

RC.com has had its share of problems as well and I'd bet they still do.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:21 pm

spam looks for traffic... I think.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Adam » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:14 pm

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6e7e577014

since you might have time now... i don't have much php experience, but might be able to lend a hand if needed. getting annoyed by spam.
Adam

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:27 pm

I believe image verification is a feature that is built into the latest releases of phpbb2 but for some reason when I upgrade to each new edition the image verification doesn't seem to come along for the ride. Duno why. I have tried to activate this feature with little success.

Scott W was on track and had us signed up with the new phpbb3. He successfuly transfered over the database but then he kinda vanished so I don't know what we'll do next.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions Box / Site News