Climbing Wall in PEI- To Do or Not To Do!?

We do have climbers here, really!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Climbing Wall in PEI- To Do or Not To Do!?

Postby ashums » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:30 am

Fellow Climbers!

We are seriously considering (finally) taking a stab at building a climbing centre in PEI!!
In the midst of business plans, proposals, and dreaming, I'd like to reach out and get a feel for the climbing culture here on the island.

I have a few questions for you!

Uno: How far would you travel to access a fully equipped climbing wall and from which part of the island? Having an idea of where most of us reside will sway us in where we set up shop!

Dos: Assuming that you absolutely love the facility, how often would you climb? A few times a week, once or twice a month, and so on...

Tres: We'd like to build an environment that caters to all climbers! What would be your preference: Single/Multi pitch, Bouldering, Top Roped/Leading Routes?

Cuatro: Is there anything, in your mind, that a climbing centre should have on top of the obvious- and what could make or break your indoor/outdoor climbing experience? (ie. gear shop, cafe, etc)

Thanks for taking the time and of course any feedback at all will be very much appreciated!!!
ashums

Re: Climbing Wall in PEI- To Do or Not To Do!?

Postby Outdoorsmack » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:40 am

Yes PLEASE. PEI is in desperate need of a climbing gym!

I am from stratford and would probably drive an hour or more to go to a gym. The closer it was to me would definitely determine how often I would go. If it was close I would be there a lot for sure 2-3 times per week. I definitely think a gym with a little bit of variety works well, easily bouldering area could be built into that. Depending on what the wall will be made of will determine what is possible. A climbing gym with a fitness area would be neat, get your workout and climb done all in one shot. Mixed memberships and such. Hope to hear more about this soon!!
Outdoorsmack
Outdoorsmack

Postby seanT » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Definitely leave a space or build a room for birthday parties. They will be your bread and butter (sad but true) 12x14 with folding tables and chairs low fi approach works best.
Good Luck!
SeanT
seanT

Postby Katie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 pm

I am moving back to PEI after living in Utah for 6 months. I took up bouldering while I was living here and and have been climbing about 5 times a week. If there was a climbing gym I would definitely go. I will be living in Charlottetown, and would probably climb about 5X per week. If it was more than a 20 minute commute, I'd likely go 1-3X per week.

I would also be interested in meeting any island climbers. Maybe organize some road trips over to Ground Zero in Halifax.
Katie

Postby cory » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:25 am

Katie, I think you mean road trips to LOC, Dover, Terrence Bay, Chebucto Head, Sand Cove... Or the other direction to Cape Spencer, Munson Lake, The Airfield, and beyond! :)
cory

Postby pretzels8 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:14 pm

I would love to start climbing, but I have no idea how much it would cost, so depending on the cost of starting up and then a membership I would want a gym within 20 minutes of Cornwall.
pretzels8

Postby JasonM » Sun May 08, 2011 12:42 pm

This is awesome! I live in Halifax but visit PEI frequently and would love a place to climb there. It would be great if it was within 30 minutes of Cornwall. I would like to see a mix of top rope and bouldering with a top-out in the bouldering part and a place to have a slackline up.
JasonM

Postby acbowman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:08 pm

That would be great. One of our island climbers has a small boulder wall that we use a bit, but something with some more vertical on the island would be great! There are a few of us who visit Cochrane Lane, etc. a few times a year and road trip "over acrost" for ice semi-regularly in the winter.
I live in Stratford, and I know of at least 3 or 4 other people in Charlottetown that would use such a facility. Hard to say with what regularity. Like to say at least a couple times a week for me.

I'd love to hear more about it!

I think the few people I know in ch'town area that climb aren't on this board. I'll pass on the message to check this out.
acbowman

Postby JenGos » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:38 pm

My friend and are are starting a non-profit group for rock climbing on PEI. We're registering BoulderingPEI at the provincial sports organization and are researching various funding opportunities. Is anyone interested in getting involved with us?

Get in touch with Jen or Katie at BoulderingPEI@gmail.com
JenGos

Return to Prince Edward Island