Canadian Ice Screw Sharpening

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Canadian Ice Screw Sharpening

Postby *Chris* » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:05 am

I stumbled upon an outfit this morning that is based in Quebec that offers professional ice screw sharpening. They will be accepting screws for a batch run in April. I may very likely send in some of my older screws at the end of the season. Thought I'd share the link:

https://sites.google.com/site/icescrewsharpening/home/ice-screws
*Chris*

Re: Canadian Ice Screw Sharpening

Postby theriault » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:25 pm

*Chris* wrote: I may very likely send in some of my older screws at the end of the season.[/url]

I'll split shipping with you and add my screws to the batch
Marty
theriault

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:03 am

I'll send some screws along too. Any idea what the price is per screw? I couldn't find pricing on the site.
Joe

Postby *Chris* » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:22 am

https://sites.google.com/site/icescrewsharpening/home/prices

Looks reasonable to me. They talk about converting Grivel screws to a more aggressive profile. If they can make my 360's bite in half as good as my BD's then I'll be impressed. They also talk about creating ultra stubbies... just in case you crazy thin ice dudes are interested.
*Chris*

Postby theriault » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:03 am

I've actually talk to this guy last winter, everything sound legit so I'm in for about 15 screws.... I bet if we get a good batch in we could negociate something pretty good!
Marty
theriault

Postby Dom » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:01 am

He already needs a ton of screw to make a small profit. That's why he only does it once or twice per year. This year his deadline is April 27th. So he only makes one big batch after this date. Using CNC cost a ton of money. You guys could probably save money on shipping but doubt he'll give you a discount for around 30 screws.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby theriault » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:08 am

Dom wrote:He already needs a ton of screw to make a small profit. That's why he only does it once or twice per year. This year his deadline is April 27th. So he only makes one big batch after this date. Using CNC cost a ton of money. You guys could probably save money on shipping but doubt he'll give you a discount for around 30 screws.

Dom, do you even own screws.....? or just CEC addicted lol :wink:
Marty
theriault

Postby Dom » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:26 am

theriault wrote:
Dom wrote:He already needs a ton of screw to make a small profit. That's why he only does it once or twice per year. This year his deadline is April 27th. So he only makes one big batch after this date. Using CNC cost a ton of money. You guys could probably save money on shipping but doubt he'll give you a discount for around 30 screws.

Dom, do you even own screws.....? or just CEC addicted lol :wink:

I don't own screws but I work on a computer all day and read escalade Québec forum where this guy explained his method. At first he charged a 50$ start up cost and then 7.50$ a screw. Then he got the idea to wait for a lot of screws and do it once or twice a year and dilute the 50$ start-up costs amongst people requiring his services. Hence why he jacked the standard price to 8.50$
source:
http://www.escaladequebec.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6649&SearchTerms=screw

But Yeah I don't own screws and my job can get quite boring at times. So thanks to CEC, Mountain project, escalade Québec, youtube, vimeo, cbc.ca, src.ca, steep and cheap, facebook, etc. standing in front of a computer is a little more bearable. :mrgreen:
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby Stacey » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:11 pm

Dom wrote: So thanks to CEC, Mountain project, escalade Québec, youtube, vimeo, cbc.ca, src.ca, steep and cheap, facebook, etc. standing in front of a computer is a little more bearable. :mrgreen:

don't forget mec/gearswap :)

I appreciate what you *and Adam* find for videos etc. keep up the good 'work' :P
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby *Chris* » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:33 am

I'm still sending a few ice screws to this guy. If you want to get in on shipping with me, make sure you can get your screws to me by April 1st. Make sure you label/mark your screws clearly. Cheers.
*Chris*

Postby theriault » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:07 pm

I'm in on this and probably Luc also
Marty
theriault

Postby *Chris* » Tue May 29, 2012 11:24 am

Marty, Joe, and myself sent in a pile of screws to this guy. They came back today wicked sharp. Now obviously I haven't climbed with them and by the time I do I'll have long-forgotten this thread; but for the record... very pleased with this service.
*Chris*

Postby theriault » Tue May 29, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm stoked to see my screws! THANKS for doing ALL the leg work Chris!! Next time we are out, I'll have a beer with your name on it!
Marty
theriault

Return to Gear