Peregrine closure

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Peregrine closure

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:59 pm

The peregrines are nesting again this year in the Amphitheater area. CFB Gagetown staff are aware of the nest and will be enforcing a 200 meter no travel zone around Cheekbone as per the "sticky" announcement on the main page. Thank you for your cooperation in respecting this closure for the protection of our mascot falcons. Joe Kennedy, DNR.
Joe

Re: Peregrine closure

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:25 am

The area restriction around the falcon nest has been lifted by Range Control, and is now open for climbing. Thank you for your patience in respecting this closure. Enjoy!
Joe

Postby cory » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:36 pm

The "sticky" reads, in part: "In future years an automatic annual restriction on all climbing and disturbances will be in place between 1 April and 1 August for this area." Am I wrong in interpretation that the area has been open for the past week, Joe? If so, please clarify (I'm a bit dim at times).
cory

Postby Joe » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 am

Yes, the intent is to have an automatic opening on 1 Aug, however because of staff turnover in Range Control, nothing is automatic with them. I have to notify them every year when to start and stop enforcing the closure. And unfortunately I had been away on vacation and was a bit slow in requesting that they open the area. Sorry about that. But as with this posting, RC has confirmed the opening.
Joe

Postby cory » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:28 am

In that case, the sticky should read "intended" rather than "automatic", right?
cory

Return to New Brunswick