unauthorized fires at Exfoliated?

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

unauthorized fires at Exfoliated?

Postby tgnyra » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:31 pm

just wanted to report that on aug 30th we saw some people making a fire at exfoliated campsite. not sure what the new policy is but the guidebook seemed to indicate that there was no fires there so we were confused about this (my climbing partner and i). There is also an in-situ fire pit made of rocks that may encourage more fires which was there on the monday of the 25th when we visited joe's for the first time.

as we were not from the area we didn't feel the need to bring this up to the party that may have been from NB (plates from the cars) but maybe a sign and taking apart the fire pit would stop this.

again, not sure due to being from quebec what is the SOP but figured this is the place to share it. Welsford is a great place and we had loads of fun, and it seems that the community will hopefully grow in the coming years and could maybe put cochrane lane on the map as a canadian climbing destination! if it weren't for the rate of climbing vs. lichen growth it would probably be as good as any other granite cragging mecca (eg cat ledge et al).

Tom
tgnyra

Re: unauthorized fires at Exfoliated?

Postby sloaner » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:44 pm

Hey Tom,

We also ran across these guys while leaving. I stopped and explained to them that the access agreement we have with the base does not allow for fires. The group we ran across were not climbers and had no idea that they were on military land. I asked them to put their fire out as it puts all the climbing in the area at risk and would also effect them as they would not be able to enjoy the scenery as hikers in the future. They seemed less that keen on the idea of putting the fire out... but hopefully they did the right thing (I left around 18:30)

I think I sign would be a great idea. Probably two signs, one attached to the bottom of the sign on the farmers land and another at the check-in area. Seems like something UNB Rock and Ice/Ascent NB can do to keep on good terms with the base and help ensure Welsford stays accessible.

Eric
sloaner

Postby Greg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:23 am

tgnyra wrote:There is also an in-situ fire pit made of rocks that may encourage more fires which was there on the monday of the 25th when we visited joe's for the first time.

Good point. The fire ring is basically a sign that says "Have a fire and make it here". If fires are not permitted at CL the ring should be removed.
Greg

Postby cory » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:05 pm

Fire permits are issued by the province for private and Provincial lands. Regardless of what's in the agreement, I don't think they can be issued for Federal land -therefore all burning is prohibited. I have done my best to remove the pit at the campsite on two separate occasions, and at least 3 times at the lookoff in the past year. Without planting anything in it's place, it's obviously not been sufficient to hide ashes and char, and more fires have been lit.

I confronted some climbers who lit a small cooking fire there a couple months ago. They were new to the area, and had assumed fires were permitted as they saw a prominent pit. Everything was amicable and they extinguished it.

Signage is definitely a good idea. I've looked for such signs in hardware/dollar stores for years now, without success. Does anybody have the skills to make a proper sign?
cory

Postby austinconrad » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 am

I can make a proper sign. I think a sign is necessary since dismantling the firepit seems to only work for a short term before another one is built. I can also understand the confussion since the guide says no fires but then there is an obvious firepit in the area.
austinconrad

Postby cory » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:02 pm

Thanks austinconrad
cory

Postby Andrew » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:07 am

Plant some trees.
Andrew

Return to New Brunswick