Help me choose a pack

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Help me choose a pack

Postby dcentral » Mon May 16, 2005 1:14 pm

Alright, I need to get a new pack. I've narrowed it down to one of these two. I'd like to hear if others have used these packs. They are also in two different categories. Are they identical same pack, and just one is bigger?

MEC Brio 50 BackPack
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 6262625606

MEC Brio 60 BackPack
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 6262689031

I want to go with one of these, I'm going to be using it mainly for search and rescue. So I don't really want to pay $400 for an Arc'Teryx pack for example, because it'll be abused pretty heavily (read having to search through blackberry bushese etc).

I can't really decied which one I want. I am currenlty using a 40L pack that's not really 40L -- It's a total of 40 L (combined pockets). I can currently get all I need into my 40L pack but it's just too small. I can't fit anything else into which is bad when I want to take off layers.

I am open to other suggestions I just don't want to spend a lot on it.
dcentral

Re: Help me choose a pack

Postby Fred » Mon May 16, 2005 1:59 pm

dcentral wrote:I want to go with one of these, I'm going to be using it mainly for search and rescue. So I don't really want to pay $400 for an Arc'Teryx pack for example, because it'll be abused pretty heavily (read having to search through blackberry bushese etc).

more the reason to buy a better pack. I recommend Low Alpine or North Face since they have lifetime warranties. You can send it back to them all torn up and 10 years old and they'll fix it for free like new. I sent a 10 year old Low Alpine back and they returned it to me with all new buckles zippers etc. It's worth the extra little money. Plus they are more comfy I find. Check out the trail shop. You'll be surprised how good prices can be. MEC is not always cheaper as I'm finding out more and more.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby PaulB » Mon May 16, 2005 3:01 pm

I've got three Arc'Teryx packs (Bora 80, Khamski & Khamsin 38 ) and they are all great. The new Boras are made with some very bomb-proof fabric, but if you really expect to abuse (i.e. ruin) your pack in the bush, going with the cheaper Brio might make sense. You can get 2 Brios for the price of one Bora. I find Arc'Teryx has better shoulder straps and hip belts than some of the MEC packs, but I've never taken a close look at the Brios.
PaulB

Postby dcentral » Mon May 16, 2005 4:44 pm

Yeah I might try an find one that costs a little more. Just I also don't really want to worry about the pack.

I agree that Arc'Teryx does have a really nice shoulder strap system. A lot of places out here Stock Osprey Packs too. I might try checking into them a bit more.
dcentral

Postby mathieu » Mon May 16, 2005 9:28 pm

I think they are exactly the same packs exept for size. Friend of mine has one, he likes it, no frills no gimmicks and so on.

Word of advice don't buy the bigger one cause you will end up filling it up with useless junk.

MEC does fix there flowers up for free when you return it and say (maybe with a tear in your eye) "my toy is broken can you fix it".

I'd go with the Brio 50L. I don't find paying more for a pack (especially that size) is worth it.
mathieu

Postby dcentral » Tue May 17, 2005 12:00 am

Yeah I'm leaning toward the 50. 60 Might just be a little too big. ALthough the 50 is more expensive then the 60 which, I find weird but whatever.

I am also starting to think you and Fred are the Ying and Yang of spend more, spend less.
dcentral

Postby Fred » Tue May 17, 2005 7:36 am

dcentral wrote:I am also starting to think you and Fred are the Ying and Yang of spend more, spend less.

I'd have to agree with you on that one. hehe

We are sometimes at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to gear. Mat pushes hexs and I push cams. hehe

I think one thing Mat has come to agree on with me though is a good ice screw is definitely worth the money and smileys just don't work.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Tue May 17, 2005 7:37 am

dcentral wrote:I am also starting to think you and Fred are the Ying and Yang of spend more, spend less.

well, it is kinda like this dcentral... Fred is a gear whore. always has been. Me too. I will also reccomend you go and get a lowe alpine pack...they are the shiznit. But...don't let Mat trick you...he too is a gear whore, though he hasn't quite reached the standards that we are at yet.

Here is an example...

mathieu wrote:I don't find paying more for a pack (especially that size) is worth it.

I think if you were asking about a much larger pack.... perhaps a 80L one, he would reccomend going for a more expensive pack with a great suspension system. Or..he may use the cost/benefit approach and settle for one in between that maximizes cost and comfort.

Fred and Mat used to be the ying and yang, or black and white, but now they are more like the gray area....mostly because mat is heading our way. I know that Fred and I haven't backed down on our gear whoreishness!!! heheh
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby mathieu » Tue May 17, 2005 9:01 am

martha wrote:
Fred and Mat used to be the ying and yang, or black and white, but now they are more like the gray area....mostly because mat is heading our way. I know that Fred and I haven't backed down on our gear whoreishness!!! heheh

And don't forget about sport climbing :wink:

Yes for ice screw I agree Smileys wouldn't even give you a speedy placement in a slush puppy. But I bought a screw this winter and went for the cheap non turbo one.

Regarding the 50L being more expensive. Perhaps supply and demand or maybe the material is different, call them on it, its worth a shot.
mathieu

Postby dcentral » Tue May 17, 2005 1:48 pm

I think might ask about that.

I think it must be because there's a 40l and 50l pack in the weekend packs

and a 60l and 70l in the expedition packs. They must hope that people won't check the other page.
dcentral

Postby Pierre » Tue May 17, 2005 3:00 pm

I think if you closer at the product descriptions you'll see that there is some differences.

The low-wear areas of the 40L & 50L parks are reinforced with Dyneema... which I assume make it stronger..

1050-denir nylon in the high-wear areas of the pack, I believe makes the pack more durable in those high-wear areas.

I'm wondering if the 40L & 50L packs are a newer design or different manufacturer..

I have old mec pack which I believe that would be comparable to the mec brio (predates the brio) , and It's seen many abusive days in the woods and is still a worthy pack. I went cheap at the time because I wasn't sure how many back country camping trips I would actually do so I didn't want to throw a lot of cash down a pack.

I have found that others that I have backpacked with have had more comfortable packs than mine. I would now spend some coin to get a nice comfortable pack..

Your back will be glad you did... my $.02
Pierre

Postby Mountain_Marc » Tue May 17, 2005 3:23 pm

Osprey!

You won't find a more comfortable pack. The suspension is amazing!

I backpacked for 3 weeks on Bafin Island with a 70 lbs load and never felt uncomfortable.

Now in the process of getting a technical climbing pack from them! MEC bags are good for school bags or a light day pack. That's it!
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby dcentral » Tue May 17, 2005 4:37 pm

Yeah, there's a couple of places in town that stock Osprey. THey look really nice. I might go down and take a closer look.

The Brios also seem to have a very sleek profile which is something else I'm looking for.
dcentral

Postby PaulB » Wed May 18, 2005 12:50 am

mathieu wrote:Yes for ice screw I agree Smileys wouldn't even give you a speedy placement in a slush puppy.

Until just last year, my ice rack was all Smiley screws and they've worked great on routes that were much more substantial than a slushie. I bought them 8 or 9 years ago, shortly after Black Diamond sold their factory (they were re-tooling for the Turbo screws) to Smiley. At the time, they were the best price/performance deal going, as you were essentially getting a BD screw for a lot less $$. Maybe the quality has gone down since Omega Pacific came along.

Anyways, back to packs.... If MEC hadn't shut down Serratus, I'd recommend one of their alpine packs. Might still be able to find some kicking around the stores, and they'd definitely be priced to clear.
PaulB

Postby Fred » Wed May 18, 2005 7:26 am

yes they are bomber placements but the problem is just that... placing them! I'd say smileys require at least 3 times more effort to place. And you have to put weight behind them almost all the way not just to get it going. Definitely not what I want to be doing when I'm on lead. The extra few bucks are definitely worth it.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby PaulB » Wed May 18, 2005 4:31 pm

Fred wrote:yes they are bomber placements but the problem is just that... placing them! I'd say smileys require at least 3 times more effort to place.

What I was trying to say is that I've never found my Smileys to be any harder to place than BD screws. YMMV. When I've got both on my rack, I'll grab either without hesitation. Makes me think that something has changed in the manufacturing. Not that it matters, 'cause now that I can afford BD screws, that's what I'm buying to replace the older Smileys.
PaulB

Postby Fred » Wed May 18, 2005 9:58 pm

perhaps they have changed but I thought I tried a friend's old smileys and they seemed quite difficult to place as well. I guess sometimes it might just be personal preference perhaps.

i do recall one of my smilleys getting thrown from the top of a climb once by a disgruntled and frustrated climber. I guess that's a pretty good indicator. That's pretty much how I feel every time I try to place one too but I take control and either pull through it or put it back on the rack and grab another screw.

anywho

just my 2 cents to say how much I love smileys
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Wed May 18, 2005 10:22 pm

Good thing this thread isn't about me anymore. :D
dcentral

Packs

Postby Ken P » Thu May 19, 2005 12:52 pm

I have the 70L Brio. Had it out on a 6hr snoe-shoe this past winter and loved it. Tested it out on some short hikes with about 60lbs and was very happy. It also shrinks up nice with small loads. Also has a waiste pack under the hood, never used it, but it's there. Overall, I am very pleased, especially for the price. Good luck.
Ken P

Postby dcentral » Thu May 19, 2005 1:35 pm

Cool thanks for the review. Did you try out any other packs when you bought that one?
dcentral

Postby mike » Fri May 20, 2005 3:08 pm

Serratus packs would be my choice- I've got three and been using them for the past 12 years. The pack in the pick looks alot like the serratus alpine guide (something like that anyway) series. On thing I notice is it doesn't have the velcro thingies for holding you axe handles- I guess they figure you wanna put the axe handles in the elastics- I find that to be a drag.

Other than that- blow ter wad on a brand name.

Once you get the pack broken in it won't matter about the quality of the straps. No matter what some gear head in a magazine says.... they are all quite good these days.

I like your choice, I'd have a search for Serratus first though.

Mike
mike

Postby dcentral » Fri May 20, 2005 3:36 pm

I'm starting to lean a little more towards the 50 L pack. I still have to get out this weekend and look at a few others.

Might be hard thought to find an Serratus packs, with MEC closing the factory.

I don't have any ice axes so that's not really a concern right now. I usually use those loops to tie something to the bottom of the bag.
dcentral

Postby mike » Sat May 21, 2005 3:33 pm

oh yeah- couple of other packs that come highly recommended and seem to create return customers:

Macpac- New Zealander's all have 'em and they make awesome tents.

POD- British wickedness- really good heavy use packs.
mike

Postby mike » Sat May 21, 2005 3:41 pm

Macpac- http://www.macpac.co.nz/

I looked for a POD site- but I thnk it might be a garage operation in Sheffield. Excellent packs if ya can fund em... however... I couldn't.
mike

Postby mike » Sat May 21, 2005 3:49 pm

ps- sorry about the typing- its dark in my room- and I've got a cordless keyboard- doesn't always get all the letters. Such is life.
mike

Postby dcentral » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:35 pm

In the end I ended up gettin the Brio 60L pack. I'd have to say it's a really great pack. Has one ice axe loop. Holds lots, and has a really great suspesnion system. I was actaully surprised at how good it was compared to the older versions. Lots of padding and places to adjust the belts.

I'd recommend the pack -- especially for the price. I also tried a Bora 60 on the weekend with simillar weight load, and I didn't find the Bora to be that superior for the extra 200$ or whatever dollars more it is.
dcentral

Return to Gear