Buildering.

We do have climbers here, really!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Buildering.

Postby mitchleblanc » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:02 pm

There's this wicked problem in Charlettown.. oh.. wait. No. Actually, even the buildings here have no climbing on them...
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby Ropeguy » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:38 pm

Hey what about the big concrete bridge,In case nobody has noticed there are bigs chunks of aggregate and cement sticking out of the water on the long grey thing that crosses the water.Just imaging how much fun you could have trying to avoid the cops up top and the hungry fish in the Northumberland Strait at the bottom while while climbing in hurrican force winds!! PEI has lots to offer!!
Ropeguy

Postby Fred » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:14 am

Rope Guy,

you must work in the engineering field. Only we use words like "aggregate" when talking about concrete which everyone else calls cement. :D
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:03 pm

Yes I do,I'm in the middle of submiting the necessary papers for my CET,I'm more involved with the mechanical side than civil however I work for Strescon.I'm sure your familar with what we do. 8)

Postby dcentral » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:49 pm

When I lived in C'Town 01-02 anyone I asked if there were any boulders around just looked at me funny. It was like they had never seen a big rock before.
dcentral

Postby Displaced marritimer » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:56 am

Guest, you woudl nto be the Same Mech. Eng. that works at stress con that is married to a tall Blond?
Displaced marritimer

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:55 am

I was thinking the same thing, but ... i've ruled it out. I don't know why he'd be on a forum for climbing...

Displaced marritimer wrote:Guest, you woudl nto be the Same Mech. Eng. that works at stress con that is married to a tall Blond?
Andrew

Postby Ropeguy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:22 am

Is the tall blond hot??Cause if she is and everyone wants her that I'm going to say yes !!!(I really hope she has big boobs too!!)Oops!did I just say that!! uhhhh sorry !

If you want the truth then thats another story!I'm not married!! and I don't really"work" as you call it,I "sit"
Ropeguy

Postby ganu » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:34 am

Hilsborough bridge in Chaerlottetown has great " buildering". Crack climbing, yes I have said it, awsome hand made cracks going up the shore sides of the bridge. They are not actually over water but a parking area for those who work on the bridge. We used to get there via a weird turn of to the right going east, just befor the brigde, there was also some easy concrete slab climbing there as well. I slightly recall us top roping the cracks, but I can't remember what we used for anchors due to it being at least five years ago since I have been there.
ganu

You don't say...

Postby shannon » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:38 pm

There's a thought. Urban assault on the bridge. I should check that out!

shannon
shannon

Postby ClmbJEN » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:42 am

Ok these posts are making me a little nervous. Im from Utah and I will be moving to PEI in Dec. Please tell me there is some good climbing close by? How long do you have to drive to reach some good climbing? Please someone give me the scoop....
ClmbJEN

Postby Fred » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:34 am

good god! If you are a climber from Utah don't move to PEI. It's comparable to moving to the Prairies. The closest climbing is Halifax Nova Scotia or Saint John New Brunswick. good luck...
Fred
Site Admin

Postby saF » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:13 am

There are a few of us climbers who have moved to the Charlottetown area in the last 6 months. And I actually knew the state of climbing before I moved... :shock:

There are no commercial climbing areas in PEI, except for a 23 ft wall out in Cavendish in the summer, and that was up for sale in August for $22,000. Not sure if it sold yet and I don't expect it to be open in the same location next summer. When it was first set up 2 years ago, they were charging $5 to climb to the top 3 times... Mostly aimed at tourist kids.

Shannon (member of the forum, and originally from New Brunswick) has built a small wall on the back of his house. I am planning to build a woodie in my garage this fall. And I have heard of one person with a "large" wall just outside of town, but I have driven all the roads in that area and haven't seen it yet.

As my climbing buddies called it "PEI is a climber's hell". There is no solid rock anywheres on the Island at all. People keep saying that they have heard of some big boulders, but I have not seen anything hard enough that I would be willing to climb on it. Its all soft sandstone.

The only climbing that I have heard of on PEI is some ice climbing in the winter. And I would not expect it to be too tall. Might have to start looking in to that just to help me get my climbing fix.

As for travelling to a climbing area, Halifax and Fredericton are the closest climbing gyms, 3 in Halifax, 3 1/4 hours from Charlottetown and 1 in Fredericton (someone please correct me if I am wrong), and I think its about 3 hours from Charlottetown as well. The prime areas to climb are Welsford (between St. John & Fredericton) and the surrounding Halifax area. Yes everyone, I know there are other places as well, but those are the "big ones".

As I re-read what I have just typed, it sounds so discouraging! :(

saF
Scott Ferguson
Cornwall, PE
saF

Postby martha » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:47 am

You are a little more than 3 hours from Fredericton. actually pretty close to 4 hours.

even more discouraging..I know. sorry. :(
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:22 am

and then another 45min to Welsford ;)
Fred
Site Admin

Postby The Teth » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:41 am

If you take the ferry to Pictou, how long would it take to get to Cape Clear? Just a thought.

Teth
The Teth

Postby Fred » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:58 am

Good point. However, Cape Clear isn't very good. I'll post a report shortly on our findings.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby ClmbJEN » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:20 pm

thanks everyone....looks like i am going to have to do some serious driving for some good climbing. not what I am used to...i live in a climbing Mecca. Anyway thanks again...
ClmbJEN

Postby ClmbJEN » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:35 pm

Oh one more thing.... Where is the best Granite?
ClmbJEN

Postby The Mitt » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:12 pm

Most of the climbing is Granite or a form of. If you wanna rope climb Welsford for sure, although there are allot of really nice lines here in NS. Bouldering Just outside of Halifax several different places. If you want to see some video of the bouldering order Eastern Tide. Check it out it was made by one of the locals http://www.pulldown.ca.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby saF » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:57 am

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am planning on building a woodie in my garage this fall. I probably will invite some people on this forum over to try it when it is done.

I will probably post some pics to show its progress here.

:roll: My eyes start to glaze over when I think about building it! :lol:

I'll keep you posted.
saF
Scott Ferguson
Cornwall, PE
saF

Living inPEI yet?

Postby shannon » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:22 pm

ClmbJEN wrote:thanks everyone....looks like i am going to have to do some serious driving for some good climbing. not what I am used to...i live in a climbing Mecca. Anyway thanks again...

Have you moved here yet?

shannon
michael shannon Burt
East coast editor
trailpeak.com
shannon

Postby ClmbJEN » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:40 pm

I haven't moved and I am not sure that we are going now.....Im kinda glad cause there is so much climbing around here. But if we still do move, thanks for all the info. :D
ClmbJEN

Return to Prince Edward Island