other ice in p.e.i

We do have climbers here, really!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

other ice in p.e.i

Postby ganu » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:10 am

i was asked about other ice climbing in p.e.i, than orby head.there is more climbing in the same area, west and east of orby head. a place of interest may be cape tyron. there are 2 cape tyrons in p.e.i, look on the map for the one that is on the north shore. there is a light house there. i found it a bit tricky to find at first. these cliffs are supposed to be the highest in p.e.i at 90+ feet. there is defenatly ice, and access is a scramble to the shore via the light house. i slightly remember having to do some some traversing and climbing to get to the base of the main walls.i am not sure how much ice is there for i only was there for the rock, wich is an experience in itself. we toped-roped of our vehicles(if u are to try this please use common sense).i did however see some hydrology comming out of the walls. please share ur experience if any one decides to take a look.
ganu

more ice

Postby shannon » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:47 am

Yet even more reasons to get excited for the distant coming winter season. Got my axes, and eagerly await the ice!

Cape Tryon is now on my list!

shannon
shannon

Re: other ice in p.e.i

Postby shannon » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:23 pm

ganu wrote:i was asked about other ice climbing in p.e.i, than orby head.there is more climbing in the same area, west and east of orby head. a place of interest may be cape tyron.i did however see some hydrology comming out of the walls. please share ur experience if any one decides to take a look.

We checked it out last saturday, and there was no ice to be found. Will check again maybe in January. Orby for sure.
michael shannon Burt
East coast editor
trailpeak.com
shannon

Return to Prince Edward Island