fellow PEI climbers out there?

We do have climbers here, really!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

fellow PEI climbers out there?

Postby shannon » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:57 pm

I'm looking for other climbers out here in PEI. Email me at shannon@trailpeak.com I'm in Charlottetown.

I have a GPS waypoint for Orby head. Great spot last winter for ice climbing. Not sure how much the ice formations vary from year to year.

shannon Burt
shannon

Postby Fred » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:59 pm

Shannon,

please send us photos of any climbing on PEI. :D

This is a big day in Eastern Canadian Climbing history. hehe

WELCOME!!!! :D
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

ice climbing in PEI

Postby shannon » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:19 pm

Well, I have the picture.... But I don't know how to submit it to the forum.
Can I email it to someone to post here?

shannon

PS have any of you checked out trailpeak.com?

We're looking for a nova scotia corespondant. Anyone interested in writing, documenting, hiking, climbing, kayaking, biking, etc, get in touch with me.
[/img]
shannon

ice in p.e.i

Postby ganu » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:03 pm

wow this is so cool, it has been years since i have been to p.e.i, i now live in b.c. it almost brought a tear to my eye when i seen those pictures of the ice on the north shore. My last climb in p.e.i was about 5 years ago. we used to climb(top-rope) near fort amerst.We also used to play on the ice and mix it up a bit on the north shore aound orby head. This is all where i learned to climb. I remember crapping my pants prusiking up those cliffs at orby head. it took me a an hour and a half due to my prusiks freezing up every time i weightd them.( i had about a month climbing experience at the time and had to learn everything the hard way). Anyway all u guys climbing in P.E.I keep it going. I had a few climbers tell me i am crazy cause i liked climbing there. I remember climbing in P.E.I is a whole different art form, but to the oppened minded it is full of awsome experiences.I now live in B.C, I climb granite all the time, long rock and ice routes, awsome alpine etc., but I still daydream of all the incredible experiences I have had climbing on the ocean in p.e.i.
ganu

Postby dcentral » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:35 am

Climbing sand dunes sounds dangerous. :D
dcentral

Postby climberwannabe » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:01 pm

hey shannon, whats with this trailpeak website? I glanced at it briefly, but can you give a rundown on it???

I am also from PEI and visit quite regularly (my dad lives in Winsloe and I have a bunch of family up west). I'd love to try some ice this winter if I'm around.
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby dcentral » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:12 pm

Never understood how in PEI you can go up West. Isn't out West and up North?

And how does one go up island in a horizontal province.
dcentral

trailpeak

Postby shannon » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:35 pm

Hey there,

Trailpeak.com is a free website that is an online travel book in the making. It started in BC and grew from there. We have more than ten editors nation wide now. Check out the climbing section. some pretty jaw dropping sections from out west.

It's a great resource for trip planning, and even sharing your own routes. I think there should be more maritime content, so if any of you could, share some of your more popular climbing spots. It only takes a new minutes to post routes. We need material from Welsford, and the bouldering sites in NS.

Shannon Burt
shannon

Postby The Mitt » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:39 pm

Shannon, your description of main face on the website is actually first face. main face is south of first face. Common mistake. Just FYI.

Mitt
The Mitt

name mix up.

Postby shannon » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:57 pm

Hey, thanks for the details.

The accuracy is important. I hope I named the topo map waypoints correctly. That part would be a lot harder to fix. I did change the name of the route. CHeck it out to see if I got it right.

Thanks again,

shannon Burt
shannon

Postby The Mitt » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:39 pm

Your description is great. And the map is accurate.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby speed » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:30 pm

I've been going foolish over here for the last couple of years (Ch'town) with the lack of climbing but this is a good medium to get things rolling.
speed

Postby saF » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:47 pm

speed wrote:I've been going foolish over here for the last couple of years (Ch'town) with the lack of climbing but this is a good medium to get things rolling.

Welcome to the board.

When I moved over hear my climbing buddies in the Halifax area said I was moving to Hell... at least a climber's hell.

Hopefully I will be getting a wall in my garage started soon.

How big is your basement wall? Any pics?

saF
Scott Ferguson
Cornwall, PE
saF

want to do a short ice hunt?

Postby shannon » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:32 pm

Scott and Speed (don't know your name)

Interested in doing a short 2 part ice hunt next saturdat or sunday? I've been checkingout Orby Head last weekend (see Trailpeak.com) and I was told by someone on the site that cape Tryon had potential. I wanted to check it out and revisit Orby. I can't make it out today, or I would have called you scott.

shannon
michael shannon Burt
East coast editor
trailpeak.com
shannon

Return to Prince Edward Island